Seat Interchangeability Question

Is the bottom passenger seat cushion interchangeable with the bottom driver seat cushion?
I need that information just in case I find a good bottom passenger seat cushion so i can put it on the driver's seat.

Comments

• BillBoardBillBoard council member
    91 RT4WD wrote: »
    Is the bottom passenger seat cushion interchangeable with the bottom right driver seat cushion?

yes. pretty much.

sort of.

basically.

yes.

I think so.
  • BillBoard wrote: »
    yes. pretty much.

sort of.

basically.

yes.

I think so.
    So is that a yes?
  • Who knows.

The foam/cover itself will swap, the actual pan itself is identical. The spot welded brackets that hold the rails are not. Also the foam shape is slightly different from left to right, to account for the seat belt mechanism. And in the cover itself there is a slot at the back on one side that clears the connection point to bolt on to the top of the seat. So you'd need to cut that and maybe re-enforce it so it doesn't tear out. It's through the vinyl part. Past that though it's fairly simple, you just clip the rings, and pull the cushion and cover off as one piece. The cover is ringed to the bottom foam, but if you're keeping both you don't have to worry about clipping that and fussing with those fiddly internal rings.

Now if your intent was to swap the bottom pans with just a few bolts, that definitely won't work. The rails are effectively a mirror of each other, one bolts to the bottom one bolts to the side, and the spot welded brackets to attach to those rails are also different.

I know because I'm doing this exact thing.
  • Who knows.

The foam/cover itself will swap, the actual pan itself is identical. The spot welded brackets that hold the rails are not. Also the foam shape is slightly different from left to right, to account for the seat belt mechanism. And in the cover itself there is a slot at the back on one side that clears the connection point to bolt on to the top of the seat. So you'd need to cut that and maybe re-enforce it so it doesn't tear out. It's through the vinyl part. Past that though it's fairly simple, you just clip the rings, and pull the cushion and cover off as one piece. The cover is ringed to the bottom foam, but if you're keeping both you don't have to worry about clipping that and fussing with those fiddly internal rings.

Now if your intent was to swap the bottom pans with just a few bolts, that definitely won't work. The rails are effectively a mirror of each other, one bolts to the bottom one bolts to the side, and the spot welded brackets to attach to those rails are also different.

I know because I'm doing this exact thing.

Thank you for the information. We are still looking for a bottom seat cushion. If we run into any trouble I will send you a pm. Thanks
  • If you're pulling the foam out of one just be mindful of those internal ringed bars. I've seen people just rip the original cover off and doing a good amount of damage to the foam underneath.

One good thing to do if you are going through the trouble of taking the cover off is to put a sheet of 1" batting on it. This helps fill things out a bit more due to any deterioration over time. Not sure how the foam holds up in the more northern climates but down here my foam is pretty orange, doesn't help that a previous owner smoked either. But yeah the batting takes up any slack there may be from wear over time.

Oh one more thing to note, in addition to the slot to connect to the seat top there are two holes through the vinyl on one side of the cover. So you'll need to put new holes through there. I'd probably just punch through with a heated up rod or soldering iron that way it melts the plastic around the holes and it doesn't start fraying. That vinyl given its age is pretty weak.

Good luck, take pics along the way, always good for documentation.
  • 88 seats pans (maybe 89) can be used on either side as they are bottom mounted to the rails, 90-91 have the side mount as greenteagod said.
  • That is good info to have. Damn proprietary mounts on the 90-91!