Broken Front LCA to Frame bolt. Real Options?

Hello Forum,

I have been lurking for a while, but have encountered my first real issues with my 91 RT, so here it goes.

I'm doing a complete suspension overhaul, installing the ES Master Kit, RTA bushings, K-Sport Coilovers and Axis Maglites. Also did a full rebuild on brakes. *Just so those that care have some scope.

I've torn out 3 of 4 LCA's, and am stuck on the last one. I was wrenching on the Front Driver Side LCA last night, and the bolt was frozen, just as with the other 3. I took out the rears using a grinder on one side, breaking the welds of the thread-nut on the other. The pass side came out with PB Blaster and breaker bar (lucky). Actual question: I broke the head off of the far bolt that attaches the front LCA to the frame. I ended up with the bolt head and 1/2 inch of stud in my hand, and the rest of the bolt still frozen in place. Has anyone addressed this before? My grinder doesn't fit in either side of the bushing sleeve space, and PB Blaster isn't doing anything. Need some GURU advice.

Thanks,

Ilya

Comments

• Hammer + screwdriver to get it out?
  • ilyabolilyabol Band Wagon
    Other side has a threaded nut welded on to the bracket, to receive the bolt that I broke. So, not an option.

-Ilya
  • have you tried breaking the spot welds on the nut to try to twist it out, back, and forth.
  • Is the bolt rusted/frozen to the bushing sleeve?
  • ilyabolilyabol Band Wagon
    Hi guys, yes to both. I got the LCA out though! It was frozen to the sleeve, and to the bolt. I ended up undoing the rest of the bolts that held the control arm in place and pulling it down, and over towards the passenger side. Then moved the sway bar out of the way (pushed it up about 30 degrees as the other side was already unbolted). Removed the safety guard from my 4.5 inch electric hand grinder, installed a 7inch x 3mm abrasive disk and carefully/slowly cut through the sleeve and bolt on the inside of the stamped steel mount. Now all i have to do is get the remnants of the bolt out of that nut that's welded to that same piece, still.

Hope that made sense, and thanks for the replies.