LED high brake light flasher

Maybe it annoys you, that's probably a good thing as it means it got your attention.

361.jpg

(good time to pop that lens out and clean it up. I did.)

This is an install of a flasher module for the high mount brake light in the civic wagon. And subsequent install of a resistor to get the light to work correctly.

I won't go into the removal of the trim or light itself, it comes apart pretty easy, just watch out for breaking the plastic tabs, I did on one and am now just using some double sided tape to hold things in place.

So first off with all things I can put some LED lights in, I put em in.

362.jpg

Next we want to add the flasher module. It's pretty basic. Split your positive wire, one end goes to the lights the other end goes to the plug socket. And just tie the ground into the black wire.

363.jpg

This worked great when the power was off. Turn the headlights on though and I guess there's enough residual juice to dimly light the LEDs. Since the flasher module triggers on any power at all that means you turn the car on and they flash once, but are on dimly the rest of the time. They do get bright when you step on the brakes, but no flash.

That led to the purchase and installation of this resistor. Since the resistor heats up you don't want it directly against the plastic parts. So I needed to find somewhere to tuck it. I decided since I have a pop rivet gun to use that. You can also use a self tapping screw though it won't sit as flushly as the rivet head.

If you are using a rivet open up one of the holes big enough to get the rivet through. If a screw then just a small pilot hole in the metal on the car should suffice just so you get stuff lined up easily.

364.jpg

And popped. Tucked it away in there. It'll have some breathing space but is close enough that I don't have to do any additional wire splices.

365.jpg

Next thing I did was to tie it into the red wire.

366.jpg

As well as the black.

367.jpg

With this type of resistor it bridges the wires to draw off some of the juice and then dissipates it as heat. In very rough terms. This way the led isn't getting whatever little trickle of amperage it was that was lighting it up initially and then when it gets full power from the brake lights it's enough to kick them on and activate the flasher.

And here are the results.

If I missed anything or there are any questions, please let me know.

Comments

• jongsrjongsr Wagonist
    You could also buy an inline flasher from autozone and splice that into the wiring. Not sure if it would work with the led but I did this to my sedan a few years ago and it worked perfect.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    is that legal? lol
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Yeah note to everyone, check your local laws before doing this.
    It should be legal in most places but due to it being rear facing and flashing, it would be illegal in NZ.

EDIT: Just double checked the law here and you actually can have a flashing tail light - just not a cosmetic one. Bit grey in the explanation, though...
  • Yeah, please do check local laws and don't blame me for any tickets. I've actually seen some new Audis come with this from the factory for sale here in Texas, but it's always been the high center brake, not all of the brakes.

But yeah sort of the same thing here, gray area, you can't have a flashing light if it's being used as a beacon. And who's to say you don't have a really fast foot when you're braking.

Not that it's a measure of the law by any means but I have had more than one cop behind me after I did this little mod and I've not had anyone give me a second look for it.
  • Many of the "new" cars are coming with this style center brake light from the factory. Also a lot of the new motorcycles are taking this route as well. Most manufactures see it as a safety benefit.