Turn signal issues

So I tried searching a bit, and couldn't find anyone with exactly this same problem...could be that I just don't know how to search it. Anyway:

-Front turn signals are constantly ON, even with no key in the ignition...turning either signal "on" with the switch does nothing, they do not blink
-Dash turn signal indicator lights are NOT on
-Rear turn signals are NOT constantly ON
-Headlights/running lights work normally
-Hazard switch doesn't do anything
-Haven't checked function of brake lights and rear turn signals yet

General info on care that may be helpful:
-90 rt4wd wagon, dohc zc swap (with matching ecu)
-Auto to manual swap (reverse light wiring not done yet - simply took the reverse light bulbs out for now...they would normally be constantly on as well)
-HF gauge cluster
-E-brake indicator light in dash is reverse of what it should be (on when no brake, off when brake) - probably unrelated?

Any ideas? My first thoughts are just to replace the turn signal switch and relay. I'll try to get some more info up here when I get back home if it is of any use.

Thanks!

Comments

• Before replacing the switch, just pull it out and disassemble it. Clean the contacts if there's nothing obviously wrong inside, reassemble it and put it back together.

On my '88 none of it worked, but after pulling the switch apart and finding out the inside is just simple copper slider contacts, a little sandpaper later it was all working perfectly.

ETA: It sounds to me like you've got a wiring short though. Something constantly feeding power to the lights.
  • Sitting here and thinking about it more, it's been my experience that when you have multiple conflicting electrical issues in different circuits, it's usually a ground problem.
  • yeah I mean it definitely could be a grounding issue. I'm probably gonna have to bust out the electrical diagrams to try and hunt it down if that's the case. I'm trying to think of some good places to start...

Also there's this little fuse box on the wagon that I thought was just related to the auto seat belts, but I could be wrong. It was connected to a positive wire on the passenger side engine bay harness, and has 2 little fuses in it, with 2 wires coming out of it (green/white and red/white if I remember right)...I have it removed right now and I'm kinda wondering if that could have something to do with it...

I had the car hooked up to a battery and running a while back, and I don't remember having any of these issues with the turn signals at that point (but I definitely don't always trust my memory, hahaha). I'm trying to think of anything I've changed since then, and removing that one little box, as well as installing the HF gauge cluster I think are the only things I've done related to wiring. Any chance either of those could cause these problems to arise?
  • HF Gauge cluster. The plugs/connectors might be the same but the circuit pattern on the cluster might be different - do you still have your stock cluster? Try swapping it back in and see if the problem goes away - if so that's your culprit.
  • hmmm...that's a good call. I do have my stock auto cluster, put the HF gauge cluster in because I wanted a manual one. I'll give that a shot for sure.

Found another potentially related problem: Cooling fan turns on immediately when I turn the key. Also confirmed that rear turn signals do not work at all.
  • So I figured out why I was getting some crazy weird stuff happening (get ready for a facepalm moment):

I had my battery charger hooked up backwards :hopelessness:....when I wired up/relocated my battery, for some reason I decided to put a black wire on the positive terminal and a red one for the ground, so I didn't notice when I came back to charge it. :mad: I'm pretty sure I fucked that battery, so I tried some stuff out while having it hooked up to another battery (basically trying to jump start it).

Anyway, at this point I'm still having some issues, but not nearly as weird as before. I'm having 2 (probably unrelated) issues:

1. Rear turn signals do not work (fronts blink at 2x speed as a result). Bad turn signal / hazard relay? Just bad bulbs?
    2. Car will not start normally - I can hotwire it by shorting out the two starter terminals - seems like it's running great. Fuel pump primes when I turn the key to ignition II, but absolutely no cranking at III. I've gone through and checked every fuse with a multimeter, and amazingly it seems like I did not blow a single fuse by having the charger on backwards. I'm assuming my main relay is good since the fuel pump is working. So my best guess for this problem is the starter relay.

Any other suggestions for either of these problems? Everything else electronic seems to be behaving normally, except for the reverse lights (which I just haven't wired up yet from the auto to manual swap). Headlights, running lights, etc. are working. E brake light is fixed...

Thanks!
  • Yeah, anytime you have lights not working the working ones will blink twice as fast as a warning to you. It is probably just that something is wrong with the rears since they do not work, not a bulb. I doubt all the rear bulbs went out at once but maybe with the charging this could be the culprit. As for not starting, I think you are on the right path, it is probably the starter relay.
  • I have a similar problem my front turn signals, gauge lights, license plate lights will light up when i push the brake pedal! I checked my ground in the trunk and scuffed both ground boxes under the hood still nothing