Sourcing switchable power

Hey all. So I just received my power window kit and I am trying to source switchable power.

I'm looking to have them only be operational when the key in in the "ON" position.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can tap into and/or where to find these wire?

Thanks.

Comments

• there are terminals on the fuse block under the dash that allow switchable power. i have my fog lights hooked up to it. they look like male spade terminals coming out of the fuse block. just use a circuit tester and check for power with the key on, off, etc. you would have to add an inline fuse though.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    yea i ran my stereo thru one of those id think you could do the same with a power windows configuration i just stuck the wire into the fuse slot and jammed the fuse in there to keep it snug
  • civtec350 wrote: »
    there are terminals on the fuse block under the dash that allow switchable power. i have my fog lights hooked up to it. they look like male spade terminals coming out of the fuse block. just use a circuit tester and check for power with the key on, off, etc. you would have to add an inline fuse though.

Sweet! Do you reckon you could show me a picture of which terminal you hooked them up to? I dont have a circuit tester handy.
    klum wrote: »
    yea i ran my stereo thru one of those id think you could do the same with a power windows configuration i just stuck the wire into the fuse slot and jammed the fuse in there to keep it snug

I was initially using the terminal for the interior light and radio fuse, but it allows the windows to be used when the car is turned off.
    shouldnt be a issue if thats the case since they only use power when on just like the light and radio right? id think thats a more sutable outlook any way aside from theft deterrent outlook i may be wrong on the battery drain issue tho.
  • klum wrote: »
    shouldnt be a issue if thats the case since they only use power when on just like the light and radio right? id think thats a more sutable outlook any way aside from theft deterrent outlook i may be wrong on the battery drain issue tho.

Yeah the main concern if draining the battery. But I have a couple of solutions I will try and report back.
  • Success. I hooked it up to the Heater Control fuse, thus making them only operational when the car is on!
    nice
    make sure you stick to the right amp fuse!
  • Well I'm a little late to this post. I just did electric windows on my hatchback and came across a thing called a "fuse tap" it is basically a fuse tap that you plug into a empty slot in your fuse box. It has a spot for an actual fuse and it has a hot wire coming out of it for power. Very clean look and only powers when the ignition is on.
  • That works great if you don't want to splice into your harness