Power to Manual Steering

I have a '91 RT4WD and the steering rack is leaking. I'd prefer to just ditch it and go manual.

I've read that the simplest way to go about doing this is swapping out the entire subframe.

I searched around but didn't find anything definite, so I'd like to hear from anyone who has done the conversion.

Comments

• bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Yes, the best/safest way is to change the crossmember. The only difference (that I can see) in the crossmembers is in the diameter of the clamp for the right side of the steering rack. That can be overcome with a shim or different bushing,(as I did) but I won't recommend it to others. Steering is an important part of the whole driving experience!
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    agreed with bam. i picked up a dx subframe/crossmember and a dx rack reloaded it with quaife internals and moog goodies on the tie rods. Feels amazing.

do it the sub, inners, the white plastic bushing and the guide/spring/plate that are all in the rack while you have it out of the car too. It's fairly simple. The rack itself is only about 12 parts not including tie rods
  • +1

I pulled the subframe and rack out of a std Civic we had destined for the crusher.

Rebuilt the rack with new inner tie rods and bushings and put it in the Wagon.

If memory serves me correctly, I also noticed ~1/2" shorter LCA mounting points between the STD subframe vs Wagon subframe, which would bring the LCA up toward the chassis for better geometry for the lowered peeps.