NEW WAGO DRIVER with a couple issues

What's up fellas, I'm new to the group and recently purchased my very first Wago. She's in prestine condition inside and out. Champagne in color (looks more like the color of my toilet after a hefty night of Taco Bell) but I'm not complaining because well, it's still a Wagovan! When I went to see the Wago for the first time, the main thing that sold me on the car was that the cigarette lighter had never been removed from it's slot. Not a single flick of dust so I happily handed over the $1,800 for the 1987 2WD Honda Wagovan with 107k on the original motor. I am the third owner and the guy I bought it from told me a professor owned it before him so I was also very happy to hear that. The Professor said he only used it to go get groceries and take minor trips around the Phoenix area. Anyway, the past week, everytime I finish up downshifting this trooper, she suddenly shoots to 0 rpm's and dies instantly. While I'm actually driving down the road, she's fine until I get lower than 50% throttle and she starts chugging and when I try to get back into the gas, the car stutters, kinda feels like it's off then when it actually gets fuel again, it's fine. Other than that, I just need to replace a front right wheel bearing and shes good to go for a while. I do have plans for her but that's to come later. I'll try to post some pics of this beaut later. Any helpful feed back is appreciated.

Comments

• 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    congrats on the purchase. my first suggestion is to let it idle and take some carb cleaner or brake clean or something and start spraying down all the vacuum lines in the engine bay. See if it does anything weird when the cleaner hits. If it doesn't then you can eliminate a vacuum leak, and your worst nightmare haha.
  • Thanks bud, I'm also new to the CARB game too. Heard it's much easier to work on as well so that's good for me because I'm not so mechanically inclined. Absolutely love the Wago and don't regret the purchase at all.
    It's easy until you run into a vacuum issue. You take a moment to look at how many lines there are under there? haha
  • Thanks bud, I'm also new to the CARB game too. Heard it's much easier to work on as well so that's good for me because I'm not so mechanically inclined. Absolutely love the Wago and don't regret the purchase at all.

I think someone lied to you brother! Congrats though!
    I think someone lied to you brother! Congrats though!

Well normally carbs are easier than FI....but in the wagon case its only easier if you delete all that vacuum bs and do aftermarket carb.
  • Has it been doing this since you got it or did it start after a "spirited drive"?
    If the stock carburettor hasnt been driven hard in the while it will gum up with crap and cause the float to get sticky, very easy to dismantle and clean up with carbie cleaner
  • Has it been doing this since you got it or did it start after a "spirited drive"?
    If the stock carburettor hasnt been driven hard in the while it will gum up with crap and cause the float to get sticky, very easy to dismantle and clean up with carbie cleaner

Well the previous owner had plans for it then it didn't really work out so it sat for a couple years. He took it to a very educated Honda mechanic and he took the carb apart a while back and did that clean out you were talkin about. I actually called that same mechanic today and I'm taking it to him next Thursday so hopefully we'll figure it out but until then, I'll get some carb cleaner in there and hopefully that will take care of it temporarily.
  • 503Wagon wrote: »
    Well normally carbs are easier than FI....but in the wagon case its only easier if you delete all that vacuum bs and do aftermarket carb.

Any suggestions on aftermarket carb kits?