88-91 ECU 's

I am studying up on my wiring etc in the shop manual right now .Basically i am trying to get the 91 1.5L auto ECU that the car came with to run a D16Z6 MPFI set up .I am looking at the wiring diagram for the ECU and it shows 4 pinouts for fuel injectors but they jumper 2 together to run the dual point (two injector) manifold of the 1.5 litre motor .I look at the diagram for the 1.6L motor and i see the same pinouts not jumpered but individually running 4 injectors .so I am thinking i can get our D16z6 manifold running off of our stock ICU .My question is : are all 88-91 civic wagon ECU's the same ? If they are , then i will be swapping intakes shortly and easily .Thanks in advance for any help offered .

Comments

• quartersquarters Council Member
    You need to do a lot of google searching, google 'DPFI to MPFI swap', then google 'OBD0 - OBD1 swap' , then google 'd16z6 automatic ecu'
    Are you staying automatic?
    Your current ecu won't know how to fire 2 more injectors. it will be useless.

88-91 DX, FWD wagon ecu's. stamped PM5. for 2 injectors. useless
    88-91 Si, RTwagon, 1.6l, stamped PM6. for 4 injectors. You can use this, you won't get the vtec activation.
    92-95 Si, Ex. This is the ECU you should use, but you need to convert to OBD1. You get a fully functioning, much more modern day electronics system.
  • wftbwftb Wagonist
    Thanks for the info .Unfortunately none of the harness guys will make anything for an automatic car .We live about 140 miles NW of Toronto , trying to get parts up here to do a manual swap would be a lot of work and driving .Right now the engine runs well with the 1.5 L intake and electronics , but if i can get the better intake on it would be able to easily cruise at 120KMH without a lot of downshifting .My son goes to school in Guelph and is on the 401 a lot so it wont be much good to him if he cant cruise easily at 120 .I have done all the research in to the 0-1 OBD swaps and yes that is what would be best , but without ready made harnesses i am not interested in going that route .The VTEC on the Z6 from what I have read does not give you much .So not too worried about that for now .
  • gearhead313gearhead313 Band Wagon
    There isnt enough wiring in the DPFI to convert to MPFI cleanly. Basically what you'll have to do is create a "sub" harness that is independent to the factory and run it straight to the ecu, bypassing the factory plugs at the strut tower. This is only one way amongst many though. If youre searching and cant find some specific info, just ask.
  • wftbwftb Wagonist
    That is what i am thinking of doing .Since the ECU i have has four pinouts for driving fuel injectors and at present has them jumpered in to pairs , i thought I could make up a sub harness to use those pinouts to drive the 4 injectors on the D16Z6 intake .I think all the other sensors I need for the MPFI intake are already in and attached to the 1.5L harness .I am going to look in to getting a PM6 ECU for an auto RT as well .They should not be too hard to find .
  • wftbwftb Wagonist
    We have decided to do a OBD1 swap .It will entail making up some subharnesses and rewiring a manual trans ECU conversion harness but wiring is not a problem for me .Everything is on order from Ebay right now .The rebuilt engine is running great now , no leaks and not burning oil .The problem that is pushing us to do this is gas mileage .I think it should get a lot better than 18 MPG (U.S. gallon 3.78L). Hopefully the more modern electronics and better flowing intake will fix this and get the cruising speed up higher too .
  • If you're getting 18mpg something is quite wrong. Hopefully the swap sorts it but yeah, there's definitely something not right there. I have the 1.6 bottom end with the 2 injector setup on top and I'm getting 28-31. It's a manual, but I don't think that would account for that much of a difference.
  • wftbwftb Wagonist
    Still collecting parts to do the OBD1 swap but in the meantime at the suggestion of our local honda dealer service manager , I took off the basket .Mileage went up to 27 MPG mixed driving .The wind deflectors were causing huge amounts of drag .Highway mileage should be up over 30 , if I ever get on the 401 long enough to check it .
  • Ah yeah, that will do it =D Trying to fly a kite for no good reason will tank that gas mileage mighty quick.