dpfi-mpfi keeping automatic

I have searched this and have a few questions, if anyone has done this. I am not interested in changing to manual due to my wife not interested in learning to drive stick. lol.

So I have collected my parts, I will be using a ps9 ecu. I have everything I need for the general mpfi conversion for a manual. What is the differences in the wiring at the ecu for an automatic? Do i need to switch any additional or add additional wires because I will be using automatic? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• brandon44brandon44 Band Wagon
    I am currently wanting to do the same thing, where can I find more information as well?
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    I did it to my wagon a few years ago. Still going and its way nicer than the dpfi... MPG sucks though.

Your going to need the pully and cable linkage from an accord or integra throttle body for the automatic transmission kick down. The wiring was um... fun to say the least. I did it by trial and error, since I hadn't found anyone before me that had done it. You can also use a obd0 auto integra ecu, for a more fun tune. I went back to the ps9 ecu eventually...

There is some pics of the throttle body in my black wagon build thread.
  • Im wanting to do this as well, I bought a rebuilt b2 today. Has 0 miles on it and wanna do the conversion while i swap the dead engine out. I have a complete y8 manifold but not sure which dizzy I will need/will fit my b2 head? Isnt there a way to stay obd0?

Finding a write up for this is becoming a pita. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I just wanna keep my b2 head and block, keep auto, stay ob0 and do the mpfi conversion / swap the y8.

Is that too much to ask?
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    btbammer wrote: »
    Is that too much to ask?

Since you asked- yes lol

My personal opinion, is you're biting off way too much. WAY too much. If you're not concerned with downtime, have at it and learn! If you are concerned with downtime, I say swap the motor in and get the car on the road. A multi port swap can be done on a Saturday if you have all the parts and information ready to go. As far as the Y8 manifold, its one more thing that you're going to have to deal with. I was real interested in doing it for a while. After doing my research, I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Again, just my opinion...
  • What makes it difficult though? What is required?
  • Does anyone here have the parts and info available?

Ill get it running dpfi but I REALLY want to do this at some point.
  • Swap chassis and engine harness from a auto Rt wagon or auto Ex sedan
    Been there and done it.
    My Mad Max wagon is a mpfi with automatic transmission.
    I used
    - 88-91 civic/crx si intake & throttle-body & injectors & distributor & resistor box.
    - 89-93 accord linkage for throttle-body and transmission kick down.
    - PS9 ecu from 90-91 civic ex sedan.

I got my hands on an dpfi wiring diagram and a mpfi civic ex wiring and then a little trial by error.

I enjoy the swap. I'd even do it again. I managed to find a spare ps9 incase I find a sedan that I want to do it to or another dx wagon.

The ecu is probably the hardest find.

If you want to keep it automatic, then it's worth the hassle.

Here is the link to mine:
    http://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?13100-DRMORTY-Fun-w-quot-Dick-amp-Jane-quot-is-now-Mad-Max
  • I just talked with nathan from daily driven (save a civic) in salem. He said all I need is a specific ill post the model when I get it on Tuesday and the y8.

The ecu is a pm6 and the rest is just wiring it up and a few reprints to the sockets and plugs and such.

Im going to have him do my electrical. He said he can don it, no sweat.
  • And apparently you dont need a resistor no if you run high impedance injectors. I could be wrong but that is what I've read.
    The accord linkage is useful info. I heard you can also use a prelude tranny cable and modify it to shift quicker.
    You need a ecu from an automatic. Pm6 wont work. You can use an integra ecu from an automatic. Unless your planning on manually shifting your automatic transmission.
  • I picked up an auto rt4wd ecu and dizzy and complete harness from chassis to engine. Going to pull my dash and put the whole rt4wd harness in next week.

Aand ill be done. Minus the throttle linkage of course.
    That pm6 wont work.
    The rt4wd has a stand alone transmission shift computer. Located under the passengers seat. And they use a manual pm6 ecu.
    You need a automatic ecu. Ps9
  • Can't I use/pull the shift computer from the rt4wd? Since im using the whole harness?
    If your using the body harness... maybe... not really sure?