Iron on patches for seats?

I don't know what he cloth seats are made from, but they look like they're not going to melt if I hit them with an iron. Has anyone used any form of iron on cloth patch to temporarily fix seat rips on these things? My seat looks like a build-a-bear reject!

Comments

• wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    they seem to be an organic material, it wont melt.
    i actually sewed a patch onto my drivers seat, well, my mother did :mrgreen:

429.jpg
  • Patches!!
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Martin stained his undies and the seat, that's why his mum sewed that new patch in.
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    Hayden i told you to keep that on the DL :lol:
  • RockVegasRockVegas New Wagonist
    Patches!!

O' Hoolihan?

Yeah, I'll whip out some thread if I have to. I was hoping they sold large ass swaths of iron on material to make my life easier.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    They probably do, talk to your local granny or sewing supplies shop. :lol:
  • RockVegas wrote:
    Patches!!

O' Hoolihan?

Yeah, I'll whip out some thread if I have to. I was hoping they sold large ass swaths of iron on material to make my life easier.
    lol you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball ;-), my drivers seats love hump is all torn so bad the metal is showing, im going to go get patches 2marrow, and might also make a "seat patches" thread
  • SiWagonSiWagon Council Member
    :wink: You ever consider using a real patch like a ,"Good Year " patch.It's a way I hide rips in my jeans.
  • RockVegasRockVegas New Wagonist
    Well, this would be a very large patch, and it's got to go around a corner, so I don't think it's a job for an ordinary patch.

Pat, lookin forward to it.

Haydz, if Pat let's us down, I may have to do just that, lol
  • why not a toiletseat patch...
    must feel very relaxing...

:mrgreen:
  • Failed to get to the craft store today
  • yeah, and a few other things

:mrgreen:
  • vikylovevikylove Band Wagon
    Those patches can be bought here: http://www.irononpatches.info.
  • Blue jean material on a driver's bolster in a blue cloth interior is especially good. Even though it's much darker, when done carefully it is almost unnoticeable in the shadow of the door post.

Be VERY careful with the velour fabric - it melts quickly and just touching a 'too hot' iron to it will make a mark.

I've fixed several seats this way. Usually one wants to start on the inside at the seam so the raw edge is protected and hidden from view. Weld the patch on starting in the vertical middle working up and down slowly. Too much heat degrades the glue and not enough won't melt the patch in properly... better to little at first then loose spots can be reheated to make them stick.

Once the inside seam is stable, foam or pillow stuffing can be used to rebuild the bolster and cover the metal., sometimes duct tape can be used to hold inner layers in place.

Stretch the middle of the patch over the bolster to check the shape and firmness and tack it a bit below the vertical center - check firmness and shape again. More stuffing can be added or removed before final welding of the patch to the seat. Worst case scenario is reheating and removing a section to reposition the tack for proper fit.

Several horizontal slits allow the upper portions of the patch to overlap lower sections for the curve. BE CAREFUL - making the slits to long will leave a non-overlapping seam! Top sections should overlap lower sections so it all looks nice.

Finding a patch wide enough to go several inches around the bolster and outside is important, since it gives more surface area for the patch to hold. Sometimes a few smaller patches are required, start at the bottom and work towards the top.

Blue jean patches wear like iron, but thin black patches can make the repair almost invisible on black seat fabric.

Sorry, no pics - but the people who bought the cars never mentioned the repaired seats... Iron on patches work perfectly for seat repair!

Dave