Wagon cuts off when I turn the lights on.

Ok so ive been working on my wagon for about three weeks now and its almost road ready again. I decided to check all the lights and blinkers to make sure they were all in working condition. I found that when the car is running and I turn the lights on the gauge lights go out, the temp gauge goes all the way up, and the car wont rev over 1500rpms and then it will just shut off. It wont restart unless I cut the lights back off and the gauge cluster goes back to working properly. I pulled the cluster and chased the wires and found no broken or pinched wires. Anyone ever had this problem?

Comments

• This sounds like a ground issue. I hate saying that because it's where everyone goes first, but this actually sounds like one. Make sure you have the main ground coming off the clutch cable bracket in the engine bay below the battery secure and clean and that the ECU ground on the thermostat housing is also clean and secure.
  • i will double check both of them. thanks
  • Ok so I found that the battery ground wire was bad so I replaced. Car continues to do the same thing. Also checked the ground on the thermostat housing. I also check the ecu for codes and I'm getting a code 20 electrical load detector.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    ELD is in/is the fuse box inside the engine bay.
  • Yea I'm going to replace the fuse block with a spare one I have and see if it fixes my problems