Fog light wirimg help

I searched but didn't find much. So I got this switch from a fellow member and it looks like its a rear fog light switch. I was also told that the wiring could be the same as a defrost switch. My question is which wires would go to my power source (Im Going to use a add a circuit), ground (which should be the black one), and to my relay. Here are some pics.
17.jpg
18.jpg
If this helps ill tell you the colors from left to right, top row to bottom row. ( they all have little grey dots on the wire)
black
Black with yellow stripes
red
black with green stripes
red with black stripes

Thanks!

Comments

• BillBoardBillBoard council member
    I would have to look at mine to see how I wired it...

man Im really drawing a blank

red/black = unused (i dont think I wired anything to this.)
    green/black= power in?
    yellow/black= power out?
    black= ground
    red= ??? unused??? (you would think its power, but i cant remember lols)

Im not sure now- that may not be right? lols glad I could help...

I will check my wagon and get back to you... wire like this with Relay

19.jpg
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    This is very helpful. But if you got a chance, check your wiring out for me to double check. I'm going at it tomorrow. Thanks Billboard.
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    This is very helpful. But if you got a chance, check your wiring out for me to double check. I'm going at it tomorrow. Thanks Billboard.

Ok sorry it took me so long- but I really only cruise in the wagon on my days off... Anyways I was right

green/black= power in
    yellow/black= power out
    black= ground
    red= unused
    red/black = unused

Those red wires I believe have something to do with lighting up the switch itsself as there are 2 bulbs in the switch. One comes on when it the button is pressed. The other should come on with the Dash lights- I have not figured out where to wire them to the dash lights.
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    BillBoard wrote: »
    Ok sorry it took me so long- but I really only cruise in the wagon on my days off... Anyways I was right

green/black= power in
    yellow/black= power out
    black= ground
    red= unused
    red/black = unused

Those red wires I believe have something to do with lighting up the switch itsself as there are 2 bulbs in the switch. One comes on when it the button is pressed. The other should come on with the Dash lights- I have not figured out where to wire them to the dash lights.
    It's cool. Never ended up working on it. But thanks for the confirmation. I'm not to concerned about the switch lighting up or not but it will be nice to know just in case. Thanks again! :encouragement: I will follow up on the thread after I wire everything up.
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Well the fogs didn't work. I checked everything that could be the problem. But I have the feeling the switch doesn't work (how can I test if a switch works or not?) or the wiring may not be the same as a defrost switch? Either way I should be getting a defrost switch though the mail tomorrow so I'm going to wire everything to that switch to see if that's the problem.
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    use a multi meter and set it to resistance, if the switch works you should be getting between 0-5 ohms reading. Put the probes on the pins on the back of the switch.
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Thanks grifty. Well fogs work now and the switch lights up but not how Bill wired them. When I had it wired up Bill's way it actually blew a fuse. Maybe because its not the same wiring as a defrost switch I imagine? It also blew fuses when I had the switch grounded my way. Weird stuff going on. So this is how I wired it up.

green/black= unused
    yellow/black= power out
    black= power in
    red= unused
    red/black = unused

So my advice to anyone who wants to do this is to try wiring it up both Bill's and my way and see what works and post here for your results because I'm curious.