Be Advised! Tail Light Area Rust May Be Lurking!

Please Check your wagons for cancer!

Many of you that have been following my build thread lately know I have been in the middle of some body work. When I first got my wagon, I noticed a little area of corrosion around the passenger tail light.
Living in the South, rust generally isn't a big problem. I didn't like it, but it didn't keep me from buying the wagon as this was the only visible corrosion. Seen below when I bought the wagon.

115.jpg

116.jpg

Fast forward a year or so, I thought this may be a problem in the future and I was tired of looking at it and found myself picking at it when I washed the car.
So I decided to stop it temporarily. I ground it down and primed it up to stop further corrosion.

570.jpg

571.jpg

572.jpg

573.jpg

574.jpg

It was decently bad. Rusted through in some places but to be fixed later...
Fast forward to now. I am in the beginning stages of a respray on the wagon initially brought on by being tired of looking at this.
This is where the fun starts.

117.jpg

I pulled out my rear interior and found this!

953.jpg

Once cleaned up, turned into this!

118.jpg

954.jpg

Looks pretty nasty. Going to require some new metal. :disturbed:

Sooo... in doing the body work on the other side I noticed a tiny speck of surface rust in the same spot.
I figured I better investigate. I found the same brown rust streaks leaking from behind the seam sealer. When I stripped it away, The same thing!

119.jpg

Not near as bad, but if I had not caught it, it would have gotten that way quick.

In looking at everything, I am concluding that when water drains off the car, some of it must come in around this area. The seam sealer material traps and holds in moisture. Over time this is the end result.
I urge all of you to take the time to go out and check your wagon for similar damage. I'm willing to bet most of you have some corrosion here. Better stop it before it is too late!
Please post your results or similar experience with corrosion in this area. I will update soon with my repairs documented.

Happy Wagon rescuing!

Comments

• FakeJDMEF8FakeJDMEF8 Senior Wagonist
    thank fuk for the Southwest:)
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    I did some research and found some rust Stopping/preventing paint called POR-15 after doing my homework, I decided to give it a try even though it was $30 a pint.
    It comes in Black & Grey. I chose grey for no particular reason.
    Man Was I impressed. I used on the driver's side that wasn't completely rotted out. The can says you can paint directly on the rust, but that didn't sit well with me.
    I scraped away the seam sealer until I was out of the rust zone. Then I hit it with a wire brush to knock the crustys off.
    After it was clean, I washed it down with acetone to clean up any residue. Then it was time for paint. Didn't know what to expect.
    This stuff was very runny. It goes on super thin and runs down a vertical surface with ease. Non the less, I built it up with thin coats. Six in total.
    When this stuff dries it is rock hard and super glossy. I am very pleased with the end result. I feel this corner will last forever!
    I highly recommend this solution if you find inner rot in this area of your wagon that has not completely rusted through. Mine only had a pinhole rusted through.
    The POR-15 filled in this pin hole and I was able to use body filler on the outside and you can't tell there was ever an issue!

Read more at
    www.por15.com

408.jpg

526.jpg

435.jpg

473.jpg

527.jpg
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    I've got a little bubble in the exact same spot :(
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Update, for those not following my build.
    I got a buddy to come over and weld up some patch panels I made up.

85.jpg

86.jpg

87.jpg

90.jpg

89.jpg

91.jpg

Fiberglass, putty, and a lot of sanding

92.jpg

110.jpg

112.jpg

211.jpg

Seam seal & POR 15 the patch.

113.jpg

114.jpg

Now we are ready for paint!
  • Swap'd-DSwap'd-D Wagonist
    Por 15 is the shit! My pops used it all the time doing industrial paint work on dump trucks and heavy machinery. Great job!