91 civic wagon

why am i able to go past redline.
what happens if i go past it for a while?
how far past could i go without damage?

totally stock wagon.

Comments

• HaydzHaydz Moderator
    you shouldn't be able to, modified computer?
    don't go past it for a while. trust me.
    You can't go past without risking damage
  • Redline and Rev-Limiter are two different things.

Redline is your warning not to exceed a specific RPM.
    Rev Limiter is the ecu intervening because you ignored the redline...typically 500-700 rpm later.

Also, the stock tach is notoriously inaccurate above 5000 rpm.
    And if you rev hard, the swinging needle has some momentum...making it look like it went higher than the engine actually did.

On a stock engine, there is absolutely no reason to run past 6000 rpm anyway.
  • 949949 Senior Wagonist
    i wanted to test this out. my friends civic ek was the test first. he ran it to red line and it bounced after about 200 rpm after red line.

i decided to see what mine would do. basically how much after redline 200 or 300 after? well mine is 6500 rpm. well i ran it up and it was pretty slow on this stock car. i saw it go up to 6500, then waited 7000, then 7500 rpm... oh crap i was thinking. so i let it off. i know if i let it keep going i know the ecu would not have stoped. it worried me alot. so this is why i ask this. my max rpm meter goes to 8k rpm.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    either the ECU has been modified or somethings amiss...
  • 949949 Senior Wagonist
    i did went to a dealer and one of the service writer said its cause i have a OBD0 and it doesnt do it. i was like "what??" :? i thought even with the old cars they should have some limiter.
  • SiWagonSiWagon Council Member
    If it's a 944 or 924S. :shock:
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    My ZC is OBD0 and it still cuts... So is the PM6 ECU which its currently running on..