Where to Get WAGON Specific Hatch/Tailgate Shocks/Struts?

2»

Comments

• andylyonandylyon Band Wagon
    advanced auto: strong arm part 4909.
    fits perfect..have to haksaw the bottom end off to easy access the nut to remove old ones.

stoked on my hatch now!!! goes up by itself and stays there
  • andylyon wrote:
    advanced auto: strong arm part 4909.
    fits perfect..have to haksaw the bottom end off to easy access the nut to remove old ones.

stoked on my hatch now!!! goes up by itself and stays there

so i orederd them but they are still to short..they dont have the metal plate on the top with the two screw holes did you have to do something to yours like replace the metal top piece or did yours come with it already on there?
  • SiWagonSiWagon Council Member
    Recheck package part#.
    IT should have the 2-hole brkt.
    They may have been out of the 4909 so sent you a 4812(which is misinputed to some computer data bases as 1 that fits).Some aftrmrkt supports may not allow the plastic cover to fit back on.

Lower support can be removed by open end wrench.It's easier if the upper support is unbolted & use a good quality wrench(cheap one's slip). :!: The rear hatch is HEAVY :!:It's a tight fit for the wrench.
  • VladiVladi Senior Wagonist
    Anyone knows where to get replacement tailgate-struts nowadays?

Ebay has a few but can anyone confirm they fit, since they put the "Civic Wagon" tag on everything.

EDIT:
    Found the 4909 ones, I need those right?
    Just to be sure since I'm in Europe and shipping costs are expensive.
  • bjornEbjornE Band Wagon
    Here in Sweden you can buy them from Mekonomen wich is a big autoparts dealership.
    They cost about 100euro for a pair.

Let me know if I should look it up closer for you! I need a pair myself but just havent got around to buying them and test.
  • Both of my wagons have strongarm 4909, and the OEM plastic fits on it
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    i feel ike a dip shit, is there some secret to instaling these things? I had to take one side off to replace the hatch hindge that broke and now i cant get it back on lol
  • Prop up the hatch a bit "over open" if that makes sense and you'll have to compress the new one slightly to get it in there. It is not fun!
    Prop up the hatch a bit "over open" if that makes sense and you'll have to compress the new one slightly to get it in there. It is not fun!

thanks for the advice , i got the one i took off back on - good news! that shock is blown , so I'll have to buy a new pair and then the fun will be doubled! i dont mind having a broom stick in my trunk that much...
    thanks this will come in handy when installing the new set
    Installed the rear hatch shocks. the hatch doesn't just pop up once I lift the lever which is kind of depressing but at least I can retire the JDM Broom Stick
    People on here were making this replacement a pain in the ass and time consuming I did mine in about 30 minutes.
    107.jpg

here they are side by side.

114.jpg

popped the interior panels around the shock bolt to expose the wrenchable part

109.jpg

pop off the cover for the two ten m on the top

110.jpg
    popped out

remove the top two ten mms and install your new shock - you may need to spin them around to get them to line up on the ball joint side.
    Install the ball joint and re attach the interior pieces being careful not to break any of the tabs like i did

111.jpg

now just pop the new shock into place - you may need to over lift the wagon hatch a bit youll see when you get there!

walla

112.jpg

113.jpg

put top covers back on and your done.
  • Wouldn't it be pretty simple to take out the old carpet, buy a roll of new stuff. https://www.carcoverworld.com/
    Then just trace the design onto the new stuff and cut it out? Or is it harder than that?