cuts out between 75-80mph

Question guys: 91 dx wagon manual with b18c gsr and b16j1 trans.

Cel codes 14(Iacv), 10(iat), 9(cyl 1 position sensor) and 41(o2 heater)

My problem: cuts out between 75-80mph in 4th and 5th gear on highway. Feels like fuel cut. I can rev out 3rd past 80.

When I had this engine in my 88 sedan last year (same harness and everything) I had only code 9 and it ran flawlessly. Which code could cause this problem?

Comments

• Codes 10 (intake air temperature) and 9 would apply to that particular scenario. Code 14 would be idle issues and 41 would, possibly, be cold start drivability issues.
  • cwin13cwin13 New Wagonist
    arries289 wrote: »
    Codes 10 (intake air temperature) and 9 would apply to that particular scenario. Code 14 would be idle issues and 41 would, possibly, be cold start drivability issues.

Thanks for the reply. I drove with code 9 for almost a year with no drivability issues. I’m thinking the IAT sensor is the main issue. I’ll check wiring again then maybe replace sensor.
    So I had the wrong plug plugged into the iat. Cleared that code. Now my iacv is acting up and surging idle. Even tried swapping plugs for that too and nothing worked. Car is still cutting out at 80. And now 60 in 3rd. Could the code 41 cause it to do this? Maybe not going into closed loop? I’ve driven with code 9 for a year before, and code 14 for a while and never had this problem.
  • Of the codes that you had, 9 would be the most impacting on driving (I understand you may not have seen an impact in the past). 41 should only be affecting cold start. Do you have a 1 wire O2 sensor or is it a truly heated O2 sensor? I would look at replacing the crankshaft position (checking wiring first) sensor and possibly swapping a O2 sensor and see where that gets you. Verify mechanical and electrical timing if that has not been done.
    It’s a 4wire h02 sensor but it’s used so definitely could be bad. The blue wire was pulled out of the sub harness on the ecu jumper so I reattached it and reset ecu but the code still appears. Still gotta check the rest of the wiring again, I may have missed something. I’m going to be selling it soon and don’t want the next owner to have too many issues.
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    I may be wrong, but I vaguely remember cylinder position sensors being located in the distributor. When I've had faulty dizzies my car would not rev past 3500 rpm, this could be your issue? Try a different dizzy maybe?
  • I can tell you that I also had a IAT sensor go bad, because I mixed up the wiring loom and plugged them wrong - in my defense all them sensors connect to most the connectors in the loom.