Rt4wd from Australia

Comments

• JundaCoroJundaCoro New Wagonist
    Haven't posted in a bit but anyways.

Got the whip back together a couple of weeks ago now, couples of things.

1. The old motor must of been a proper hand grenade because it drives so much better now, response, power, sound, all very noticeable.

2. I effing love the brakes now, they just clear and I reckon they look mint.

Need to sort out the rears but I'm just gonna enjoy it for a while first.

45.jpg
    46.jpg
    Also work on the car has all but to a stop, just been doing little bits and pieces but nothing crazy, working on other peoples stuff at the moment, but the wagon will be getting a lot more loving soon.

I've been driving it around and loving it. Went and did the groceries in it this morning.

47.jpg
    Righto, k tuned front traction bar arrived today, bought it so I'd have way more clearance between the front of the car and the engine for the eventual dump pipe. It's ment to tighten up the front end as well if it does, cool I guess that's just a bonus

Had to lop off the factory rad mounts and just made my own temp ones until I get a half rad. Bunnings pulled through with the goods, found some u bolts, bought some flat bar, cut that sucker up and bent it up and just sat the rad on that with the rubber feet for now.

Got an air freshener from the supplier too, few more points, does smell nice.

71.jpg

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg
  • Why did you have to lop off the radiator mounts? I installed an Innovative traction bar in mine and didn't have to do that at all.
    Why did you have to lop off the radiator mounts? I installed an Innovative traction bar in mine and didn't have to do that at all.

The stabiliser bar sits up relatively flush with factory bottom, when I went to originally mount it, it was hitting the rad mounts so they had to go.

Least when I sort out a half rad or whatever I can move the ubots to suit, but yeah innovatives design must be more innovative than k tuned.
  • Weird, maybe mine just set that much differently based on it being a DX or different bar though it looks very similar.

I remember mine riding up against the mounts, but not enough to cause any problem.
    Weird, maybe mine just set that much differently based on it being a DX or different bar though it looks very similar.

I remember mine riding up against the mounts, but not enough to cause any problem.

Hmmmm dunno they hey, mine hit like 50mm out from even bolting up. Tried muscling it and still way off so I didn't leave me with too many options.

It's not the worse thing to happen so it's not too bad.
    So I I've been mucking around with an eg civic half rad, one thing lead to another and I ended up throwing on the turbo mani and the mock turbo. The turbo itself is knackered but I was keen to hear what it would eventually sound like. Just a quick shitty video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NDsdp_UQRqU
    Righto, so the whole turbo thing is on the back burner for now, long story short we're moving back to QLD so our money has been jammed into that.

But I've still been doing bits and pieces on the wagon. Finally fixed up the headlights / corner lights. Probably hard to tell via the pics but mucked around with all the gaping, pain in the ass but I'm happy with the results.

Before
    1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

After

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

Had it up on the hoist the other day, final once over before it's trucked over.

38.jpg

Fun colour combo
    39.jpg

And I finally replaced that broken af windscreen, looking rather fresh I must admit

2.jpeg

Pulled a late one Tuesday night loading the car up, drove it to Welshpool the Wednesday morning and hopefully it'll be ready to be picked up next Thursday from Brisbane.

The boot space is super generous, I was able to fit pretty everything I wanted too. They weighed it when I arrived... 1850kg heavy little thing.

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

So next time I see it, it'll be in Queensland
  • Good luck! Hopefully the move goes well.
    Good luck! Hopefully the move goes well.

Thank you kindly. I'll update next week when I'm back home. Fingers crossed it arrives in one piece
  • Nice build. I know my pistons and cams need a beep clean too.

could you by chance find a sincgle cam rover valve cover?
    Nice build. I know my pistons and cams need a beep clean too.

could you by chance find a sincgle cam rover valve cover?

Ummm it's pretty much impossible to find dohc and sohc ones in Aus. Maybe check out ebay u.k and get it shipped if you've really got your heart set on one
    Hi fam, quick update.

New job is really good, super busy tho so I've barely had time to do anything. I did however give the car a 2 stage cut and polish yesterday. Some of the paint is proper effed but overall I'm pretty happy with results.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
    Tarted the wagon up and went to my first local meet since being back, received a warm reception and everyone was super curious about the 4wd system.

Also one of the locals recently bought an AH civic hatch. It's a little rough but the body is straight so it has a lot of potential.

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

P.s full credit to kwphotography for the 2 snaps, just a local dude.
    Had a meet up with some of the local ed/ efs, all super cool people.

87.jpg

Also I figured it was time for a bit of a change up cosmetically. Black the bumpers out, same with the side moulds, got rid of the racks and the stripes.

88.jpg

89.jpg

90.jpg

91.jpg

92.jpg
    Wednesday afternoon proved to be an interesting one. Driving home from work down the hwy, car started to lose power, lost revs, 2 MASSIVE bangs from the rear (like big back fires) and the car just shutoff.

Switched the hazards on and rolled off the shoulder as best as I could. Checked the rear muffler and it was blown to bits, lame. Ripped it iff because it was literally dragging on the road so it had to come off regardless (i always carry basic tools)

Started to diagnose, cranks nil start, no fault codes, no check engine light. Checked fuel okay, checked spark okay. Dropped the whole exhaust because maybe the hotdog had collapsed and it caused back pressure or whatever, still the same problem.

Rang a tow and got it taken to the workshop. I pulled the front bumper off so it got onto the flatbed nice and easy.

42.jpg

Once back at the shop it was already getting late, so I was already getting over it. Checked out the timing, all good, pulled the spark plugs out, they were all okay, compression test it, healthy af.

Called it a night, asked the Honda community what they thought, 99% said dizzy, which the second i read it made perfect sense.

The next morning I pulled the dizzy off and inspected. Icm was cracked and it looked like the center bearing had collapsed because it was all melted e.c.t. picked up a good second dizzy that night, threw it on the following morning and boom it started.

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

It's currently at the exhaust shop getting the rear muff replaced

47.jpg

Least I had a nice view at the worskshop for the day.

46.jpg

Cool open headers video with the failed dizzy too.

https://youtu.be/3W7tVLZpAXI
  • That video is gnarly! Never seen an engine do that.
    sohawk wrote: »
    That video is gnarly! Never seen an engine do that.

Yeah i know right! I submitted the video to the Car Throttle FB page. They posted it and it's gotten bulk attention.
    Mmmmmk, wago back on the road and running nicely. Decided it needed a bit of colour so I purchased this fun windshield banner, pops nicely in the sun.

Wont be everyones choice /flavor but I quite enjoy it.

41.jpg
    42.jpg

Also did a vavle set on it last week, still looks very clean underneath so happy days

43.jpg

Annnnnnnnnnd finally started cleaning up this engine bay.
    Deleted the charcoal canister and the solenoid bank on the fire wall. Also painted my air box black (It was already silver when purchased it), made a d15b throttle cable work and cleaned up my brake vacuum line.

44.jpg

45.jpg

Definitely more to do in the bay, just hard atm being a daily.
    Heatwrapped the headers today, no real reason, just trying to neat it up a lil more.

Also painted the rad brackets and re did my vac line again. (Tucked it a bit better)

Battery bracket will FINALLY be painted on Saturday, biggest eyesore

73.jpg

74.jpg
    Timing belt and water pump done on Friday afternoon. Jammed by cam gears in aswell that I bought off Mikey 100 years ago.

Also held my cams in place like so.

75.jpg

76.jpg

And i painted my timing covers

77.jpg

Also advanced my intake timing by 2°

https://youtu.be/ekCVe7x9MRk
  • Using 2x 5mm drill bits or 5mm punch will lock the cams into place at TDC where I've circled the holes in red :)

11.jpg
    Grifty wrote: »
    Using 2x 5mm drill bits or 5mm punch will lock the cams into place at TDC where I've circled the holes in red :)

11.jpg

Hahaha oh fiuuuuuuuuuck. I was hella proud of that.

You learn something new everyday
    So on the weekend there was an all Japan Day. Premeet with a bunch of ed, efs and crxs, so i went to that and rolled in with them.

Finally met a wagon buddy of mine too, and hooray he brought down one of his rt4wds, so it was cool for my shitbox to have a matching friend!

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg
    Another busy weekend, decided to wire tuck the engine bay.

124.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

127.jpg

Friday afternoon / evening I pulled the front end down, front bumper, front fenders and the guard liners.

128.jpg

129.jpg

130.jpg

Saturday spent most of the day doing the tuck, had some relief, one of the work lads swung past and gave me a hand so i was able to get it done that day. Passenger side went through the door jam, drivers side just the little hole under the wiper motor. Was also able to hide the resistor box behind the firewall too so happy days.

131.jpg

132.jpg

133.jpg

134.jpg

Didn't get a chance to tuck the engine harness but that will be next, as well as throwing the battery in the boot. But from how the engine bay looked 4 weeks ago I'm pretty happy where it's at now for just working on it on the weekends :)

135.jpg

136.jpg
  • I just went through the whole threat. Awesome stuff!

My main question is about the Hardrace bushings. I've done my front end over the winter and will work on the rear end once it warms up a bit more. How does the car feel with a full set of HR bushings? Stock but sportier, or harder similar to Poly?
    superhatch wrote: »
    I just went through the whole threat. Awesome stuff!

My main question is about the Hardrace bushings. I've done my front end over the winter and will work on the rear end once it warms up a bit more. How does the car feel with a full set of HR bushings? Stock but sportier, or harder similar to Poly?

Ummmm i can't really compare it to it anything because I only got to drive it around the block originally. However, it's super planted, turns in nicely, very little understeer and very predictable. It's pretty much point and shoot in through corners and very fun to drive. There's basically no body roll but you don't feel like you need a kidney belt after driving it, soaks the bumps up.
    Busy couple of weekends took the old girl to a few meets. It's nice to get out and drive it when it's not work kays. :encouragement:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
    Driving back from the old folks home the weekend before last and the steering started feeling funny. *sigh.

Put the old lady in the air and found the passenger side rack end had bulk movement, steering rack bush must of collapsed. Pulled the whole rack our stripped it apart and sure enough the bush was in pieces.

194.jpg

195.jpg

196.jpg

Also the holding tangs / clips that hold the inner tie rods in were effed so I just committed to hardrace ones. Luckily a really good friend of mine had a spare rack end bush in Perth so that was expressed shipped.

Waited for a couple of days, parts arrived, slapped it all back together comparison pic of the tang lengths between the generic rack ends I had in it and the hardrace ones.

197.jpg

198.jpg

202.jpg

203.jpg

Snuck in a wheel alignment on the following Saturday and it now it only carries -1 degree all round which is great seeings when I first got an alignment with these wheels it was something silly like -5 and -3. I've pulled the front guards a fair bit and had the rears rolled so that has obviously made the difference.

Few piccieseconds after the alignment too

199.jpg

200.jpg

201.jpg