CRX Track Slut

Comments

• PopPopsGaragePopPopsGarage Council Member
    all of your builds are bitchin man!!
  • ChaifeChaife Instagram grand master
    HAHA thanks man. Ended up being a bit busy with other things over the past few weeks.
    I actually wen't to assemble the motor a weekend or 2 back and found a tiny scar in/ on one of the sleeves... Boy was I pissed. :miserable: New-ish sleeve too..
    I just couldn't figure how I didn't see it during one of the 3 or 4 prior thorough inspections and cleanings. None the less, it's there and I found it.
    Almost wondered if I had made the scar myself during one of the mock up stages it was in. But that is soo very unlikely as I took extreme care in mock up assembly..
    This is why you triple check your work boys...

Long story short, I took my block BACK to my machinist AGAIN yesterday. This time to have a new sleeve pressed in and bored to match.
    Hoping to have one pissed off SOHC CRX in the coming months.
    Just ordered Cam, retainers, and springs. FML, I said I wouldn't be doing that... Oh well.. :rolleyes:
    It's goin' down!!
    I went and picked up the block and stuff on Friday. Today I'm assembling the motor.
    Yesterday, more importantly. I made some changes to the shell...
    I retrofitted these 88 VW Golf flares. Took my time to make them fit, lots of snipping here and there. The heat gun was also my friend to help heat and bend the arches of the flares. Also diced the bottoms of the fenders off. I like the new feel everything gives to the look of the car... Beefy!

410.jpg

Blacked out all the suspension components
    Rolled the ever-living shit out of the quarters with my new roller before installing fender flares
    Painted inside the wheel wells Battleship Grey to give it that Time Attack seal of approval. :p
    Added bracketry to secure the bottoms of the fenders in a 'wide body' fashion

I've become a bit surprise by it's new form. Excited too. :rolleyes:
    The rear.
    411.jpg
    412.jpg
    413.jpg
    414.jpg

Cut all this off of just one corner.
    415.jpg

and the front.
    416.jpg
    417.jpg
    418.jpg
    419.jpg

420.jpg
    421.jpg
    422.jpg

New lug nuts too.
    423.jpg
    Motor is basically in one piece after last night. Got it all done in about 4 hours.
    Just need to paint some things and make it look baller.

Oil soaked the rods, pins, and pistons.
    443.jpg
    444.jpg

Installed New Valvetrain

445.jpg
    446.jpg

Comp Cam, 260 Cam
    447.jpg

My mess
    448.jpg

Install pistons
    449.jpg
    450.jpg
    451.jpg
    452.jpg

Unbelievably thick head gasket
    453.jpg

Almost in one piece.
    454.jpg
    Snapped a picture with the camera even though it is not drive-able yet. :devilish:
    I can't wait to finish the front air-dam and body panels when I return from ECHM this coming weekend.
    This little car is on the fast track to the fast track now... :p

455.jpg
    Updated parts list for motor on page one; Added
    Hastings Rings
    SuperTech Valve Springs
    SuperTech Titanium Retainers
    Comp Cams 260 Cam
    Ported oil pump
  • PrennroPrennro Council Member
    Shes a beaut chaife! When is the anticipated track debut? Wish i knew about engine rebuilds...:confused:
  • drfinkdrfink Wagonist
    I can't wait to see what kind of numbers this thing puts down.
    Thank you sir! No date in particular. I will likely break it in a bit on the streets, as I intend on registering it again soon.
    Good thing I don't stay far from the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I'm thinking a few Touge runs to dial her in. I know some incredible spots. Desolate, and free of illusive motorcyclists and popular 'leaf watchers'. I dare not share more. :p

Not sure if I will dyno this one actually.. My friend is an engineer at MOTEC USA East, and I have gotten to know the tuners there a little bit. I will likely ask one of them to tune the car by the seat of the pants. Their best tuner is actually a female.. She is used to tuning race cars on the fly at the track from the passenger seat. No problem. :devilish:

I finished the other side last night, fender flares and wheel wells addressed and ready. I will continue work on the motor tonight.
    The shell just needs the front valance finished, brakes bled, and a nut & bolt check after the ride height and alignment are set.
    The motor is complete
    Just need to redo the valve cover, break it in and tune it. Stayed late at the shop last night to drop the motor in it..
    At this rate you would think I were attempting to get the car ready and finished for East Coast Honda Meet this weekend.. HAHA :p

471.jpg
    472.jpg
    473.jpg
    474.jpg

Moving right along. Hoping for first fire tonight... We shall see.
    I still have to drop the fuel tank to give it a good cleaning. :miserable:
  • drfinkdrfink Wagonist
    Awww yeeeeeuh

How wide are those bassets? 15x8?
    Yes sir, wheels are 15x8. Tires are chunks of meat, 205/50/15.
  • PopPopsGaragePopPopsGarage Council Member
    11.jpg
  • FrankzFrankz Band Wagon
    OH GOD IT'S SO NASTY.:drunk:

My bad for the photobomb as well. haha
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Love this! As I do all from the compound.
    Can't wait to see it and her her run. You'll have to take me for a ride :)
    HAHAHAH @ AndylovesEF & HAHA @ Frankz. No worries Frankz.

Thank you so very kindly SimplyHonda. A good joyride is a must. :encouragement:
    I know of a really good mountain pass we should take the CRXs to. Not too far from the compound, got a few good spots to stop for lunch too.

I have decided to include a video from back in the day.. Circa 2010?
    http://youtu.be/vvKPaH2fuO4

I also found this while cleaning out the glove box. I think this was the car's final outing before I decided to tear down the motor.
    An entry slip from a meet that SimplyHonda hosted way back when. I would say that this is how I met most of you boys.. Cheers!!
    72.jpg
    Ordered a few different sets of spark plugs to play with.
    Ordered fresh Rotors
    Bled the brakes
    Dropped the fuel tank for a cleaning and decent inspection.
    I fired the motor. I love it!! Everything checked out.. I left the RPMs elevated a bit. Even after about 30 mins of bouncing the RPMs around and break in, because I needed to be sure I didn't wipe the lobes of the cam off after the rings were seated. Lots of Comp Cam break in lube, ARP graphite lube, and conventional motor oil.
    After I got the motor all broken in I popped the covers off to read the story she was telling. We're good!! Time to tune and then play.

My fuel pump was clocked weird and it was pinching the pickup sock. Glad I got that tank down to have a look...
    Some nasty 4 year old stuff...
    73.jpg
    74.jpg

Got a new steering wheel, that affordable life.. Swapped this dirty old bastard out..
    75.jpg
    76.jpg

All black hardware too.
    77.jpg
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Chaife wrote: »
    HAHAHAH @ AndylovesEF & HAHA @ Frankz. No worries Frankz.

Thank you so very kindly SimplyHonda. A good joyride is a must. :encouragement:
    I know of a really good mountain pass we should take the CRXs to. Not too far from the compound, got a few good spots to stop for lunch too.

I have decided to include a video from back in the day.. Circa 2010?
    http://youtu.be/vvKPaH2fuO4

I also found this while cleaning out the glove box. I think this was the car's final outing before I decided to tear down the motor.
    An entry slip from a meet that SimplyHonda hosted way back when. I would say that this is how I met most of you boys.. Cheers!!
    72.jpg

Sick!!!!!!
    Oh boy! ECU fun.... Not :miserable: Making one from scratch I guess.. Or just wasting my time. I'm not sure yet.
    87.jpg
    88.jpg
    Still chasing some sort of wiring/ electrical gremlin.
    6x9's installed. They bang. Need to be able to hear the tunes over that exhaust note.
    143.jpg
  • :cool: Can't wait to see this thing in person!
    Did some lettering on the sidewalls.
    Tried tuning the car about 4 different times now..
    It turns out that the laptop we were trying to use is at fault. :hopelessness: I just wanna drive it! :miserable:
    506.jpg
    507.jpg
  • PrennroPrennro Council Member
    One step closer. That yellow on black pops! Get a new laptop and get at it!
  • I am impressed with anyone who goes to the length to modify their own ECU, looks good. What Pennro said too!
    Thanks you guys. I'll figure something out soon.
    I finished the front clip today, I'm lovin' it. Super cheap, durable impact plastic.
    578.jpg
  • Loving the meaty tire set up looks! I am wondering when are you getting the car to a dyno? I bet that refresh will make it pull much better then before.
    Wiring gremlins have been found and concurred. We are finally ready for the dyno! Stay tuned.
    I ended up going with one of ECUs I have which is basically a PR4.
    1.jpg
    Finally back on this. Dropped the tank, cleaning it now. New O2 sensor.
    Triple checked wiring. Bought new DW200 fuel pump. Converted pump harness.
    Hoping to reinstall tonight. Grrr
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    I managed to sort everything. Motor sounds happy now. I was able to drive the car for the first time in about 5 years. That was an amazing feeling, and the thing flys. New fluids, filters and spark plugs before I schedule the dyno. Also experiencing a severe vibration up front. I'll have to track that issue down soon.