CRX Track Slut

This build is getting heated up, it's time for a thread. Should be a fun little car. Here's a lil' history.
It started life as a CRX HF. It's always been quite the little bastard child.. I've had this car since I was like 19 or 20 years old or some shit... Actually this was the first Honda I bought after moving to the East Coast in '06. Needless to say, I've learned lessons in and with it. About life and driving. It's taken some serious abuse and now it's time for another life. It has been beaten, good. It has been pushed up and thrown down some real deal mountain roads. It has served as a daily, and it has always been aggressive. This CRX has been sitting on the side of my shop for the better part of 3 years. Time to change that...

163.jpg

Stay tuned.

Comments

• CharbCharb Administrator
    Such a tease lol
  • ChaifeChaife Instagram grand master
    Almost everything I ordered is here.. Gaskets, Pistons, Pins, Rings, Custom Head Gasket, bearings, water pump, timing belt, blah blah.
    Got to start to get things cleaned up and ready to assemble. My parts pile grew fast.
    367.jpg

368.jpg

I ordered some fresh YCP 75.5mm P29 Domed ZC Pistons, 0.50 over, I'll be using all D16y8 stuff.
    164.jpg
    165.jpg

More specs coming soon.
    Here she is, wearin' a sad face because of the neglect. Been in this spot here for months. Not long now though.
    369.jpg

370.jpg
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    mmmm yum p29's, love me some d-series builds.
    Collected everything that I need with a few spares in case I run into anything... Just waiting on a custom MLS head gasket and for some stuff to come back from the machine shop. Cleaned everything real good. Cleaned the bay for the time being too. And ordered some new wheels. Things are moving right along.
    36.jpg
    ^^That's a really cool pic! lol

Keep the updates comin brotha!
    Maybe it's time for a parts list... blah

Motor: + machine attention
    YCP 75.5mm P29 Pistons
    Comp Cam, 260 Cam
    SuperTech HD Valve Springs
    SuperTech Titanium Retainers
    D16y8 head, race ported, full 5-angle hand valve blend,
    D16y8 block, decked, sleeved, honed, bored 0.50 over,
    D16a6 intake manifold, port matched,
    PR4 ECU socket'd, chipped
    Cometic head gasket, Custom MLS
    ARP headstuds
    ACL Race Bearings
    Hastings Rings
    Full Gates snout assembly
    PurePower Reusable Billet Oil Filter
    B & M pressure regulator
    NGK spark plug wires
    eBay header
    Magnaflow muffler
    eBay intake
    Lightweight Under-drive pulley
    Custom Single-Wire high output alternator
    Ported Oil Pump

DriveTrain:
    Factory flywheel w/ 3.5 lbs shaved off the back & balanced.
    Clutch is a Stage 4 ClutchNet
    Fully Blueprinted GearSpeed Big Bearing Si Transmission
    Carbon Synchros
    B & M Short Shifter

Brakes: Front:
    The front has been converted to Si..
    My front pads are a custom compound I "developed" :p
    (By "developed", I mean we basically took the Raybestos NASCAR Cup Car pad formula and applied it to a CRX Si backing plate.) lol;)
    New NISSIN Si Calipers
    Slotted Rotors
    Stainless Steel Braided brake lines all around

Rear:
    DA rear disc conversion
    R4S track spec rear pads
    Slotted Rotors
    New NISSIN calipers

Suspension:
    KYB AG-X adjustable Shocks
    2 Piece stacked springs, progressive rate packer-spring design (an Old School eBay special)
    Energy Suspension Master bushing kit
    SPC camber kits, front and rear
    SPC rear adjustable toe links
    Si rear sway bar mounted
    Progressive Suspension Engineering front sway bar

Meats:
    205/50/15 Alpha Accelera
    15x8" Bassett Racing Wheels, 5" Backspace

That's all I can remember off the dome.
    I will likely have to add to this several times.. Probably missing stuff.
    Thanks Charb!! Cheers man!
  • VladiVladi Senior Wagonist
    Im following this thread and like it.

Just sayin' :nightmare:
    I've now decided to run both of my dirty CRXs for a few track events this year. I guess I wanna go fast.. lol Here is the other one that will come along...
    This car I built at 16 or 17 years old over a decade ago, actually it was the 2nd or 3rd Honda I ever built... I've raced it on and off ever since.

194.jpg
    195.jpg

It's been about 2 years since it's last competition. And I'm not gunna lie... I have learned a lot since then, and I even have a better work ethic.
    In the past 10 years this car has done everything I've ever asked it to. This car has been raced in circles.... it's been time attack'd, and autoX'd, it's been raced on asphalt and dirt, used as a demo car, it's been crashed, A LOT, it's been raced by young boys and girls, it's been raced by blind old men. And I still have it, it's still here...
    Now I want to make this car handle light and fun.

Today I got started on revamping this old race car.
    Flushed trans
    Fresh motor oil
    Drained Fuel Cell
    Rolled/ Pulled all fenders
    Refinished the dash with a wrinkle coat to stop the sunlight from bouncing off it and into your eyes.
    I built a full exhaust after acquiring a factory tubular manifold from a D17. My buddy was gracious enough to port the header while I fab'd up and hung the Exhaust system.
    This factory manifold should mask it's actual performance. :p
    196.jpg
    197.jpg
    198.jpg

More specs and updates for both cars to come soon... My machine shop will be finished with the motor stuff on Monday.
  • PrennroPrennro Council Member
    So many Hondas, so little time. Howd ya find the time to show tha love and drive each one? Oh I see, you have one for every occasion! I like your reasoning. Fuggin Sweet! Whens the first event? Keep us posted.
    Hahaha Time is infinite. We are not. It is without a doubt a challenge to juggle cars.. The best way to manage your time with them is certainly to have each ready for it's own occasion or scenario. Ex: My '87 RT is fantastic for trips to the liquor store! lol When the mood changes, so does the car. But it is, and has been my dream to stay genuinely enthused by these cars. Sometimes even months or years pass (as in the case of these 2 slutty CRXs) before they get the attention they deserve. Or perhaps that time spent broken down is simply a blessing for the other's waiting in line. The only way I can justify this is by staying busy improving what I can as often as I can... Here's a scary thought that struck me the other day. What if I only had 1 or even 2 cars? haha Enough of my rambling, the first event I think I'm lookin' at is March 17th, an AutoX to kick things off right. Got to work early with all this. But there is still plenty to do. Hopefully it never ends. :untroubled:
    Today continued this whirlwind of fun...
    All suspension swapped, Turns out the trusty Rat car was harboring the exact spring (spring rate 350lb.) that I wanted for this racy race car...
    So the Rat got robbed for a few days of certain suspension components until I get time to make some adjustment on it. You'll hear more about that later.
    Went with 350lb. front spring, and 450lb. rear spring sitting on ebay adjustable collars, ride height to be finalized when I decide on a wheel and tire.
    I'm tuning using the big bar, small spring theory and even adding excessive ride height. We shall see if I am an idiot or a genius for this.

Your eyes do not deceive you.. It's got herra frush firtmernt.
    204.jpg

I also bent the gas pedal a bit so that it was closer to the brake pedal for more easy & fancy footwork.
    Added one of my favorite signature features... Grip tape pedals!
    205.jpg
    Not considered rambling in my book, so continue to pontificate when u see fit, young grasshoppa!
    On other terms, im running same spring rates on my (used to track, but dont have the time or money anymore to support that hobby) eg hatch and love, love that setup!

Lastly, that poor rat, but thats what rats are for, nice execution.
    Prennro wrote: »
    Not considered rambling in my book, so continue to pontificate when u see fit, young grasshoppa!
    On other terms, im running same spring rates on my (used to track, but dont have the time or money anymore to support that hobby) eg hatch and love, love that setup!

Lastly, that poor rat, but thats what rats are for, nice execution.

Nice! can't wait to get her out in a wide open space to see what she feels like now. I should mention that I also stripped the car of 155lbs of lead that I was running to comply with the old sanctioning body that I competed with. Bet that EG is fun to pilot..

Exactly!! What are Rats for? If not to mess things up every once in a while. No worries, I'll have the Rat sorted by the end of the weekend at the latest.
    Maybe it ends up a speck lower.... :devilish:
    I picked up my pistons yesterday from the machine shop.
    He bead blasted the Con Rods
    and pressed the new P29's on with new Pins
    He also heat treated the Con Rod's actual connector.
    I simply asked to have them pressed on, the rest he did as courtesy. :encouragement: Right on!

It's about to snow pretty good I think. This will keep me occupied and satisfied during the storm.

226.jpg
    227.jpg
  • What cam are you planning on running in this bad boy? I love all motor D's.
    Chase sayin some powerful shit in this thread... wise man haha quite a few nice quotes I thought about adding to my signature.

Question: why the A6 intake manifold?
    drfink wrote: »
    What cam are you planning on running in this bad boy? I love all motor D's.

Stock, 200,000+ mile worn out y8 cam... lol for now. I just can't fathom blowing the money on full titanium valve-train to gain 10-15 HP... All because I wan't a 'lopey' single cam idle really.. haha
    The high compression should make it idle in an awkward enough fashion for me. But, We shall see. :)
    Charb wrote: »
    Chase sayin some powerful shit in this thread... wise man haha quite a few nice quotes I thought about adding to my signature.

Question: why the A6 intake manifold?

Ha, Thanks Brudda Mane! Feel free to. :encouragement: More powerful shit to come!
    In the case of choosing the A6 manifolds, (for both these cars actually). I do that for ease of tuning, I always match the intake manifold to it's stock ECU and factory wiring harness. When doing swaps. Unless of course it's a chipped PR4 or P28 or something along those lines... Then by all means run anything.. (Like the blue CRX) If that makes sense.
    I expect to encounter a dick-ton of heavy crank case pressure, as a huge side-effect of all the compression.. Online calculators predict 12.6 to 12.71:1 compression.
    So right after the motor blew all those years back I added this. 1,000HP capable positive crank case vent that sniffs from the header's collector for it's vacuum source.
    As well as this oil catch can. Here is a shot of the bay cleaned up too. Also the Y8 is notorious for oil supply issues, so I run this oil pressure gauge in place of the old shattered heater knob in the climate control area. Just to keep an eye on things.
    326.jpg
    327.jpg
    328.jpg
    329.jpg
  • Hey I have that same catch can lol
  • FrankzFrankz Band Wagon
    Chase never has enough time for all his sluts. haha
    I'm extremely excited about potentially piloting either one of these Rex's; stoked for your progress mane.:encouragement:
    HAHA
    I hand polished my crank journals with some crocus cloth last night. The final set of ACL bearings came in. Now just waiting on custom Cometic head gasket.
    New wheels and tires ordered as well. :encouragement:
    400.jpg
    Y8 Crank laying flat
    404.jpg

Cleaned, Bagged, and lubed.
  • I demand updates! I hope you're going to post some on track videos when this thing is done.
    The wheels have arrived!
    501.jpg
  • FrankzFrankz Band Wagon
    Love me some Steel wheel action, cant wait till they are mounted.
    The head gasket is here!!! Just need to free up some time and space to kill it. :encouragement:
    633.jpg

My secret weapon... :devilish:
    634.jpg
    That motul 600 is great stuff and a must for the track. That reminds me. Need some aggressive pads for the wagon. Any cross reference to my wilwood for the "special engeneered" brand you sell? Text me info.
    Good question on that pad set... I'll do some homework on the Wilwood backing plates. I have access to about 99% of the Wilwood patterns available.
    I'll text soon to get a part number.
    You are correct my friend. This MOTUL 600 is amazing stuff. Love the pedal feel after a fresh bleed.

Tires are here and mounted. 205/50/15 Alpha. Fooled around with fitment a bit.
    Flared & rolled the front fenders. Still need to sort the rear.
    I also raised the ride height a bit.
    288.jpg

Too much meat?

289.jpg

Ta-da! (Some VW flares just sitting on the tire.) I definitely like the look..
    290.jpg
    291.jpg

292.jpg

Haunted wheel well... haha Here is a shot of my shock and spring setup. Pretty unique...
    Old school 2-stage style packer springs w/ a slide separator on 4-way KYB AGXs.
    293.jpg
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    i like the wheel/tire set up more beefy the better with the vw flairs ( im kinda bias on not running rubber bands for tires)

but

as for that spider web was this spider hangin around
    295.jpg