My New 79'

124»

Comments

• simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    I am a member of a VW bus club from back when I had my bus. Sill hang out with those guys. They got together over the weekend and I took the civic out there. Everyone loved it!

681.jpg
    682.jpg
    683.jpg

Naping in the Civic
    684.jpg

Telling all about it!
    685.jpg
    Been kinda busy on the little civic the past couple of days. Brakes started scraping. That led to a full caliper rebuild. Upon pulling my calipers, I figured it was time to address the torn axle boots.
    So two weeks in to this front end tear down, I have new front brakes and two new axles! I can go and stop once more!
    169.jpg
    170.jpg

Also installed a chrome shift lever I won on Ebay a while back for $4. It has just been laying around. The chrome shifter came stock on the 5-Speed model. I thought it dressed up the interior a bit from the old black one I had.
    and for $4 who could resist?
    171.jpg

Of course a shot from today.
    172.jpg

and soon to arrive... Optional roof console!
    173.jpg
  • ChaifeChaife Instagram grand master
    That is just too cool..
    Received a new engine dampener bushing in the mail today! So I pulled the torque rod out andy cleaned everything up. I would say my old one is shot.
    Need to have this pressed in tomorrow. Man what a difference in new vs. old. Now maybe my engine will not rock to and fro near as bad.

197.jpg
    198.jpg
    199.jpg

Now on to my next obstacle. My driver's side axle keeps popping out when I go for a test drive.
    Bring it in, disassemble everything, make sure it clicks in place, & reassemble. This is the second time.
    Got to tear it down again tomorrow & figure out what is going on. Unhappy at the moment!
  • Is it popping out on the tranny side or where the knuckle meets? My hatch had a similar problem the input shaft end (tranny end) kept popping out of the tranny, I went through the full tear down as well but all it ended up being was a worn Lock ring on the end of the cv axle. replaced that and never had another issue.
  • ChaifeChaife Instagram grand master
    I've got a press you can come use if you need buddy.
    Thanks Chase, but i got it pressed in on the way to work.
    Also swung by the axle shop and exchanged the axle.
    Got her back together and headed off to work Friday. Got about three miles from the house and it started running real rough.
    It finally died out and wouldn't start back. Having no time to fool with it I left in some random dude's driveway. He was home
    and said it would be fine. I was uneasy all evening. No choice. Went back yesterday and got it to fire. Limped it home but running
    terrible. Continues to die out. First item is to replace fuel filter which I overlooked and quit possibly the OG filter. Could easily be clogged.
    After that I'll check fuel pump, etc. Old car problems...

Headed back for more :(
    290.jpg
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    Hope you get the issue fixed quick!

I absolutely LOVE <3 this car!
    Stuck the bullbar PIAAs on the 79' just for grins and giggles. I'm not laughing though. I like it!

667.jpg

668.jpg
  • Those PIAA's look Sic on there.... Keep em on I say.... Love the car
    Those PIAA's look Sic on there.... Keep em on I say.... Love the car

Thanks! PIAAs belong to the new bullbar for the wagon. Plus I really don't have the clearance I need between the grill and bumper overrider. I may however go with something similar but slimmer like the Hella ones. I do like the look of the big fogs up front!
    Had the 79' off the road for a few months. Nothing wrong, just too many cars at one time. She's back now! Here are a some fun photos I took a while back, never got uploaded.

166.jpg

167.jpg

168.jpg

169.jpg

170.jpg

171.jpg

172.jpg

173.jpg

174.jpg
  • Nice car and that badge on the rear is a super awesome find !
  • PrennroPrennro Council Member
    Love this car! Glad yoto see she is back onto the road! What ever was wrong when she died on you back in may? Im sure it wont ever happen considering the work you have put into it, but if you ever get to where you want to sell it, lmk!
    The thought has crossed my mind. I eventually may to chase down another toy, but for now I am enjoying this one. You'll be first to know!
    Well, the old girl was parked again for a while. Pulled it out the other day. Old car problems….
    Front calipers locked up hard. Also noticed a wet real wheel so looks like a a rear wheel cylinder too.
    Full brake job coming right up. Parts on order!
    Going to also drop her down a bit and close that wheel gap! Cant wait to get her sitting right.
    Having it parked and not driving is killing me. Need some miles on this beauty.

Sure, took more pics. Couldn't resist.

255.jpg
    256.jpg
    257.jpg
    Weather finally broke round here this weekend and I had some time. Rear brake parts came in so I got on them. I remember how bad drum brakes suck.

IMG_0116_zps04db8b83.jpg

IMG_0118_zps1bad344a.jpg

Mmmm… Shiny new parts!!

494.jpg

Still got to get some calipers. I'll get there.
  • PopPopsGaragePopPopsGarage Council Member
    I love this thing man keep up the good work!!!
  • Have you ever messed with the points? Or changed it over away from the points? I have a car that always overheated the points and would get to the point where it would not start, but putting on a new set would run fine for a while.
  • EBP_RD1EBP_RD1 Band Wagon
    love it! have been looking for a clean first gen for a while but here in the midwest it's super hard to find them not rusted out. missed one in KC by a couple days last week. i guess the search continues! get that beauty back on the road!
    Car now For Sale!
  • fro08fro08 Band Wagon
    Man love this car!!