My New 79'

Comments

• getboostedgetboosted Band Wagon
    More pics please! Love your post.
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Just doing some front lip fitment. It still has a ways to go. That is all for now.
    553.jpg
    My Dad found this old pic of me with his 73' from around 1982! Awesome find!
    696.jpg
  • VladiVladi Senior Wagonist
    Thats awesome!
    Ordered a new windshield seal & some chrome trim to go around it. That Chrome Trim is awesome. I used it to fix my ugly door arm rest inserts that I didn't know what I was going to do with. It came in 20' roll so there is still plenty left to do the windshield later! Got it on eBay for like $16. Well worth it! Turned out awesome! Of course there are pics. Little details baby :)

790.jpg
    791.jpg

Before:
    792.jpg

New Vs. Old
    793.jpg

After:
    794.jpg
    Just a couple of more days then it's off to paint!
    206.jpg
    207.jpg

Did some more work on molding in my front lip with fiberglass. Still not there yet.

208.jpg

Also picked up a little baby Civic on Ebay for $4. Got it ready for the paint shop too. Paint to match!

209.jpg
    210.jpg

Little Civic on big Civic!
    211.jpg
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    Awesome work man! What color are you going with?
    Original blue. I just bought paint on my way to work! Sunday is the big day. Can't wait to get my spray on!
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    Congrats on the big paint day soon arriving ....

I love the tiny car ...!
    Pretty much finished up the fiberglass on the lip.
    252.jpg
    I spent a long weekend doing the paint. My buddy was nice enough to let me use his garage. So I loaded up Saturday morning and headed over. Final sand, wash, wipe down and tape-up took the better part of the afternoon. The paint didn't cover great. I got six coats on Saturday evening before I closed up shop for the night. Right back at it sunday morning. Sanded from the night before with some 2000 paper to get out some trash and imperfections and hit it with another two coats. I probably could have kept on and on but I ran out of paint. Followed it up with four coats of clear. Then I let it dry for a couple of hours and trailered her back home. It turned out pretty good. Not a $1,000 paint job but no budget Maco job either. Being a bit of a perfectionist I found this whole ordeal pretty tedious and don't know that I'd ever be satisfied. So I'll roll with it. And without further a due I present pics!

Loading up!

343.jpg
    344.jpg

Taping
    345.jpg
    346.jpg
    347.jpg
    348.jpg

Base - B15M
    Montparnasse Blue
    349.jpg
    350.jpg
    351.jpg
    352.jpg
    353.jpg

Clear:
    354.jpg

Vola!
    355.jpg
    356.jpg
    357.jpg

Also the toy!
    358.jpg
    359.jpg

Finally couldn't resist sticking on my new OK decal from
    http://www.torparts.com/OK-Honda-Decals-2-OK-Honda-Decals-2.htm
    Original style inside decal. Quality is fantastic!
    360.jpg
    361.jpg
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    this is fantastic!!!
  • paint job looks amazing man!
  • Looks awesome, great DIY job!!! I LOVE that chrome trim stuff. Thanks for posting pics of the box.
  • VladiVladi Senior Wagonist
    Looks fresh!
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    Wow that turned out amazing! Great job man!
  • Old SkoolOld Skool Council Member
    congrats! looks pretty damn awesome !
    Got the rear put back together today With my NOS hatch letters & repainted Civic badge.
    [FONT=Lucida Grande, Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Also installed the nice set of tail lights I acquired. I love the reassembly. It's like a giant model car![/FONT]
    [FONT=Lucida Grande, Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Sporting the correct year vintage NC tag I found on Ebay. Shocked to find a personalized one with my name
    [/FONT]on it in like new condition even if my name is spelled different. Can we say "Meant to be"!
    414.jpg
    Paint Looks great .... Love that ciVic vintage emblem....
    How did that front lip turn out.?

Great find on tag but I've been calling you SimplyHonda so long now you gone and change your name .... LoL
    Well, front lip turned out OK. not 100% happy, may look for alternatives in future junk yard runs. It was a lesson in fiberglass and paint skills, but overall it turned out decent. The front view is a little rounded for the lines of the car, but whatcha gonna do?
    On a lighter note, I got it inspected, tagged, and on the road. I drove it 53 flawless miles around town, to work, and back. The smells and sounds of a vintage vehicle cannot be matched. It is what puts hair on our chests and lets us live to fight another day. I had that old VW bus, which was a lot of fun, my Dad has a 1967 Austin Healey 3000 he has had since 1970. And I have had friends with old mustangs and whatnot. It matters none. The smell of rich fuel & nostalgia cannot be matched. I felt so free and clear headed on my drive home. Was able to get her up to somewhat comfortable 71mph on the highway. It will take some driving and learning the vehicle to get comfortable, but day 1 was a blast! I had to do a lot of talking about it at work, gas station what have you, but that is what makes the hard work all worth wild. I love what I do and am proud of the things I accomplish. This is what it is all about! OK, I'll shut up from ranting and show a couple of pics.

Front view. Kinda mean, don't you think??
    464.jpg

Side view:
    465.jpg

At Work:
    466.jpg
    Some pics from from today. Put 208 miles on it this first weekend. Car drives fantastic! Got my Enkeis mounted up too.

552.jpg
    553.jpg
    554.jpg
    555.jpg
    556.jpg
    557.jpg
    558.jpg

Time to think about closing some wheel gap!
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    This isn't helping my urges at all lol

Cars looking real sharp man! You driving this or the wagon to IA?
    Wagon baby!
    Charb wrote: »
    This isn't helping my urges at all lol

Cars looking real sharp man! You driving this or the wagon to IA?

sir u need your mouth washed out with soap for that question ......!!!!!!!!!!!
    u will have to fly a little further east to lay eyes on that beauty ... LoL

SImplyHonda
    i like how this has turned out .....
    the rear lights under the bumper are sort of something im looking to do (is it park or brake and of coarse reverse)
    and that ciVic trunk emblem is mouth watering ...!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p
    Rear lights are reverse light in white. The red us just a reflector.
  • damn nice man, a neighbor of my cousin has one of these sitting in his driveway, im gonna
    check it out this weekend and maybe throw a price at him if he'd let it go
    Very nice! Good luck. They are a blast!
  • WagoDanWagoDan Wagonist
    I've been keeping tabs on one of these for better than a year... maybe.. Nice job on yours!
  • Saw ur signature simplyhonda.. U work at Honda Jet? My great uncle is the president of GE Honda Aero Engines! =)
    Yessir I work at Hondajet! I build the pylons that attach that fancy little engine to the wing. Small world. That's pretty awesome about your uncle!