Front wheel hub issues...

What up wagoneers. I recently got a flat tire and decided to replace the wheel bearings. Driver side had no problem. When I did the passengers side, dude at Car Quest machine shop told me the hub was worn down and pressing in a new bearing wouldn't help much. Suggested I get a new wheel hub.

So on my way to the junkyard, had my brother look for cross compatability online. Saw an ad on ebay for front wheel hub and cross compatabily with all 88-91 civics and crxs. Sounded good to me. Long story short, got 90 crx hub at junker, wrong size(inner diameter was much smaller). Drove me nuts, went back, snuck in original wagon hub(not allowed by many junkers) and tested it with other honda hubs. Found out that my 91 wagon hub fit 97 civic front axle. I presume the hub would be same size(couldn't take off most hubs since I couldn't stop axle from turning cuz brakes wouldn't engage). Finally found an 90 civic, not crx, without axle and brakes, popped off the hub and checked it with original and looks right. Will know monday.

So, of course you're going to say, don't trust ebay, so moral of the story, don't trust ebay and their compatability charts. I would like to know what other civic hubs are compatible with a 91 2wd wagon. From what I can tell 88-91 civics and it seems like 92-00 civics, integras 90-93 too, but not sure. Maybe someone else has more facts for me and others so no one will have to go through what I went through.

Comments

• FakeJDMEF8FakeJDMEF8 Senior Wagonist
    you should just ditch all that and pick up the complete 90-93 GSR front big brake upgrade that i have. it has new OEM honda bearings and new hubs like 7k miles ago. both sides....so when you come up to get the door panels/interior/etc, come check them out.

also: tech part of this - the CRX Si and RT4wd use the same front wheel bearings. others may work, but ive always just said my car was a CRX Si.... never had an issue. sometimes they say, "oh, all EF's are the same" nope. the STD used a smaller spline....

e
  • the STD civic and HF crx use the smaller hub.
  • DomoHondaDomoHonda New Wagonist
    Maxwell, I've been thinking of doing the teg hub swap. Saw some at the junker on saturday and might be my next project. If Bob Barker(I think it's Drew Carrey now, price is right) is involved, I just might get them from you. Do you recommend the teg mc and booster? Yeah, already made plans to take my in-laws truck to burque.

I did get the hub installed like an hour ago. New tires and all. Heard a noise coming from that side, sounds like somethings rubbing, so Im gonna check it out tomorrow. Don't think it has to do with with hub, maybe brake dust or just retighten everything again. Tell you when I get back from work. But yeah, Im interested.
  • qbeyqbey Band Wagon
    FakeJDMEF8 wrote: »
    also: tech part of this - the CRX Si and RT4wd use the same front wheel bearings. others may work, but ive always just said my car was a CRX Si.... never had an issue. sometimes they say, "oh, all EF's are the same" nope. the STD used a smaller spline....

e

bw0 you have no idea how fucking helpful this info is right now. You're sure? I've gotta do the FRONT bearings and hubs for my 91 RT4WD and for some reason I can only find
    the REAR assmb. (You'd think the rear parts for the RT4 would be the rarer ones right?) New / reman, anyway. I only wanna get new stuff coz I always cash in my warranty.

If the CRX Si ones fit on the RT4 wagon I'm fuckin saved
  • qbeyqbey Band Wagon
    FakeJDMEF8 wrote: »

e

bw0 you have no idea how fucking helpful this info is right now. You're sure? I've gotta do the FRONT bearings and hubs for my 91 RT4WD and for some reason I can only find
    the REAR assmb. (You'd think the rear parts for the RT4 would be the rarer ones right?) New / reman, anyway. I only wanna get new stuff coz I always cash in my warranty.

If the CRX Si ones fit on the RT4 wagon I'm fuckin saved