Safety Tips

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread of safety tips for when you are working on your car. Post them up!

Comments

• AbideAbide Council Member
    If im under it, jackstands for sure. put it on the stands and run up and throw your shoulder into the door to make sure its on there. ok not really but i shake it REALLY hard to make sure its not going anywhere.

disconnecting the negative battery cable makes a big difference in getting shocked randomly too.
  • Hydrolic jacks are no substitute for jack stands.
    Allow exhaust to cool or be aware of hot exhaust piping if you are working in such areas.
    Watch for hot oil when changing fluids when engine is warm.
    Same goes for coolant, don't touch that radiator cap if there is even a chance it hasn't cooled sufficantly.
    I don't let my buddies smoke around my cars as they are being worked on either.
    Also be aware of where your legs are, only put any part of your body under a car supported by jack stands you are sure will support the car in a stable maner.
  • -Allow exhaust to cool or be aware of hot exhaust piping if you are working in such areas.
    -Same goes for coolant, don't touch that radiator cap if there is even a chance it hasn't cooled sufficantly.
    these 2 reminded me of my old high school auto shop teacher's main rules:
    "never work on your exhaust naked" and "never set a cold beer on a hot radiator"
    no one ever asked about the first one, second was self explanatory.

one thing i would add to this thread though, always wear your protective gear, even when it seems stupid. unless i'm changing my oil, i tend to always wear my safety glasses, had 1 too many instances of rust/dirt falling into my eyes to go without them
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    Gloves gloves gloves!

something for heat/sharp stuff and something for chemicals. I dunno if anyone of you have had paint stripper get blown all back over you. Its terribly unpleasant!

if you think its even a possiblity, just throw some on.
  • TerminusVoxTerminusVox Senior Wagonist
    Although I work in the office, I work in the maintenance department of an airline and so have to go to some of the same classes on proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) that the mechanics attend.

If I'm painting I go the whole route with gloves (rubber, vinyl, or nitrile, etc.), glasses, and a respirator. Not to mention good ventilation.
    When I'm cutting or grinding with a dremel or otherwise kicking up a fair amount of dust or particulates I'll wear gloves (Mechanix fastfit), glasses and respirator and hearing protection.
    Growing up as the son of a mechanic taught me the virtues of wearing a hat while working under things. That layer can be the difference between a bruise and stitches in your scalp.
    Shooting handguns taught me that wearing a hat with a bill can help avoid hot things getting trapped inside your safety glasses (like hot brass shells).
    Sheesh, I even protect my eyes, ears, and lungs when I cut the grass.
  • overlooked but worthy.....be sure to keep your tools clean. an oily ratchet etc... can lead to busted knuckles.
  • For safety sakes, keep your tools organized, If I come over to help and your tools are messed up, i will Kill u...........
    Or make you watch me clean your garage before we start......Ask Mr G, I made him do it.
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    For safety sakes, keep your tools organized, If I come over to help and your tools are messed up, i will Kill u...........
    Or make you watch me clean your garage before we start......Ask Mr G, I made him do it.

LOL, you can come an clean my tools whenever you want... LOL, I'll watch!
  • After changing a tire or rotating your wheels, walk around and double check each lug nut for tightness.
  • Do not start your car on Jack stands.....if you must make sure all 4 wheels are off the ground and car is stable. If you have to get under the car when running for any reason.....invite a friend and tell him his beer is down there
  • wes wagonwes wagon Band Wagon
    Abide wrote:
    If im under it, jackstands for sure. put it on the stands and run up and throw your shoulder into the door to make sure its on there. ok not really but i shake it REALLY hard to make sure its not going anywhere.

disconnecting the negative battery cable makes a big difference in getting shocked randomly too.
    not to mention (ok, yes mention) that the car cannot be accidentally started when the negative cable is disconnected. depending on what's going on with the shifter etc. this could be a big deal.

oh yeah, I always give it a vigorous shake before I get under it!
  • Wheel Chocks!!! When ever I have any thing on jack and jack stand I have large or small depending on the car or truck I chocks the wheels. It was required by the shops that I worked for and the airport.
  • knottyyknottyy Wagonist
    Don't drive drunk!! I know this is not really wagon related, but it's still important. We all like a drink. We all love our wagons. But the two don't mix (unless you're working on your wagon....then that's pretty much tradition). Stay alive, and help others stay alive too! *this message brought to you by a drunk guy sitting in his computer chair*
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Know where your fire extinguishers are, know that they're charged, and know how to use them.
    In addition, have a plan in mind.

I did a monumentally STUPID thing tonight, and feel lucky to have survived relatively unscathed. I was removing the fuel tank from my wagon with a kerosene heater about 8 feet away. DUMB DUMB DUMB. When I first got home, I lit the heater, fully intending to put it out before draining any gas. I guess I forgot.
    I was under the car letting the tank down when the fuel fumes flashed. The drain pan under the tank had about two gallons of gas in it, and my jacket and shirt were wet with fuel on my right arm. When it happened, it took a moment for me to realize what was happening.

I almost just ran away and let it burn. The fire was that big. Instead I ran and grabbed the big ABC extinguisher at the door of the shop and managed to put it out. Somewhere in there I shucked the flaming jacket. Don't remember that part, but it was off of me laying behind the car when the smoke cleared.

After discharging the extinguisher, visibility was near zero. I ran and raised the rollup door, then went back through the shop to turn on the ventilation fan in the back wall. That was probably the next stupidest move. I'm asthmatic, and that stuff is not nice. By the time I got the fan working, i was gasping for air at the fan, 32 feet from the open end of the shop. Not smart to go back in there...

I'm ok, just a little shaken, and sheepish. I know better.

Half my head is singed of hair, and one eyebrow. No skin burns to speak of.

I'll have the car running tomorrow, and still drive it on vacation next week.
  • OOPS! Bad Bam.
  • driftin90driftin90 Senior Wagonist
    glad to hear you are ok. the eyebrow part made me laugh though. even though it's not a laughing matter. cat like reflexes!
  • Glad you are OK Bam. Yeah, gas vapors are very dangerous.
  • TerminusVoxTerminusVox Senior Wagonist
    Damn. I'm glad some quick thinking happened there. Glad you're okay.
  • Abide wrote: »

Just to let you know, 12 volts is not sufficient to overcome the resistance in the human body. This means that the 12 volt batteries in a car cannot shock you. You can, however, short something out and get sparks (bad if gas is around), damage electrical components, or generate lots of heat and burn yourself or start a fire. So it is a good idea to disconnect the battery, but don't be afraid of getting shocked unless you are playing with the spark plug wires while the car is running or cranking. Those have a Much higher voltage (from 30,000 and up I believe). Still not dangerous for a healthy individual with no conditions that would make them sensitive to a small jolt (due to the extremely small amount of amperage accompanying it), but enough to wake you up!