It's not a Wagovan

Do you call every Integra a 'Type-R'?

Then why would you call every Honda Civic Wagon a 'Wagovan'?

Different cars. Different parts. Educate yourself!

Published in Honda Tuning, May 2010
The general population often refers to Honda's '88-'91 Civic station wagon as the "Wagovan." The general public is wrong about 33 percent of the time. There's no denying that "Wagovan" sounds cool, but let's not forget about Honda's good ol' DX Wagon and RT4WD Wagon, which after all, make up for the other two-thirds or so of the category and are by no means classified as Wagovans. As you might expect, the differences are in the details. Contrary to what you might have heard, Wagovans do not feature AWD drive trains, but rather five-speed manual and four-speed automatic transmissions powering the front whels via Honda's dual-point-injected D15B2 engine. The DX isn't much different, save for accouterment refinements and such. It's the RT4WD Wagon that's special. Here lies Honda's early iteration of it's Real-Time 4WD architecture matched with one of the best D-series engines of its time, the multi-point-injected D16A6, and a six-speed manual transmission (four-speed automatic optional for wussies). Now you know.

Comments

• You're splitting hairs but you are right.

Some of the Accord guys get really pissed if you call a motor built with H/F parts a G22.
  • its more than the general population lol. I've been around honda's for many years now and everyone i know calls it a wagovan. No matter what anyone says or does its still going to be called that regardless if its a "real" one or not lol. Hell mine is not a "real" wagovan yet i still call it a wagovan. its pretty much just a personal preference thing.
  • JDMWago666JDMWago666 Senior Wagonist
    ^^This! I still call mine a wagovan and its a DX. As long as I own it I'll call it that whether that's the name or not. If that makes me wrong than Oh Well I guess I'm wrong :)
  • turbo_tegturbo_teg Council Member
    i still call mine a wagovan.....
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    I call mine a Civic Shuttle. Oh wait... I don't have one. :(
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    Haydz wrote:
    I call mine a Civic Shuttle. Oh wait... I don't have one. :(

You know what to do, tidy (dirty) Intrac on trademe....
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    It says 1500cc and i couldn't find the plates, how do you know it's INTRAC?
  • SiWagonSiWagon Council Member
    Is your point that 1/3 of peeps call our wgn. a Wagovan?This is caused by a few reasons:
    1)Honda did a good PR job.
    2)If you look at the back of a Wagovan...it says Wagovan on it.So peeps are going to call it a Wagovan.
  • dpt47zdpt47z New Wagonist
    Yup, I call it a wagovan,even though I know its not...I even have all my friends call it a wagovan

So I guess I'm part of the problem, not the solution...but it don't matter, we're all here for the same cause.......WAGOVAN FTW!!!
  • Just like 95% of the Honda tuning population call most 88-91 Civics - EFs, and 92-95s - EGs, and 96-00s - EKs. Not many of them are "actually" EFs, EGs or EKs, but everyone in the know, knows what you're talking about, and that goes for the Wagovan too.

Long live the Wagovan. Bet it RT4WD, DX, actual Wagovan or RWD :wink: !
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    It's still not a Wagovan...

I'm with charb!
  • turbo_tegturbo_teg Council Member
    Jaker wrote:
    Just like 95% of the Honda tuning population call most 88-91 Civics - EFs, and 92-95s - EGs, and 96-00s - EKs. Not many of them are "actually" EFs, EGs or EKs, but everyone in the know, knows what you're talking about, and that goes for the Wagovan too.

Long live the Wagovan. Bet it RT4WD, DX, actual Wagovan or RWD :wink: !

very good point on the whole EG EK thing
  • Are these Facial Tissues?:
    8540007935425.jpg

Or Kleenex?

That's the argument you are making. If everyone knows our wagons as wagovans (the way people know facial tissues as kleenex and ear cleaning tools as q-tips), the small minority that know or care about the difference rarely tend to matter. :|
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    It's not a Wagovan.

It's so annoying simply because it spreads misinformation.
  • igorigor Band Wagon
    It's like calling an Orthia an EK wagon. Or an Orthia a Partner. :twisted:
  • eh3eh3 New Wagonist
    I refer to mine as a wagon, but when I have to describe it to non-wagon owner as an EF wagon.
  • c'mon buy parts for your 'wagonvan'
    let's see...
    no refunds!
    :mrgreen:
  • When a word/phrase attains a common usage, then it becomes right.

Let's continue to split hairs anyways.
  • i call mine "wagon" but i have a "wagovan" sticker but its a real "DX". i guess its kinda stereo type? that when you see a civic wagon its automatic called "wagovan". the DX and wagovan shud share the names but the RT shud be strictly called RT4WD wagon. nothing less.
  • The_Head wrote:
    When a word/phrase attains a common usage, then it becomes right.

My RT isn't a wagovan but just because everybody who is misinformed calls it that doesn't make it one, and just because everyone might continue to do so still won't make it one.

I see Fiats here in Germany with Ferrari emblems, does that make it a Ferrari? If your statement is true, then I say we all put Ferrari stickers on our cars, we keep calling it that, and eventually they will become Ferrari's. This will be right because that is what we will believe, right?
  • :mrgreen:
    gotta love Neverending Stories...
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    The_Head wrote:
    When a word/phrase attains a common usage, then it becomes right.

So if people said commonly that the world was flat, it would then be accepted as right?

Wagovan is a trim level and nothing more. It should not be used as a model name when discussing technical elements.

But... you won't face the issue outside of the US as that's the only place that got Wagovans AFAIK.
  • My nose is running, can I have a Kleenex please?
  • Sounds to me like there's about a 50/50 split here. Can we not agree to disagree?
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    From a technical discussion perspective, no.

Wagovan is a trim, someone tells us they have a Wagovan and we troubleshoot as such... then it's an RT4WD and completely different? :)

And you may know some things by brand name in the US, but here it's just a tissue. :P
  • Haydz wrote:
    From a technical discussion perspective, no.

I do agree with this. But my point is that 99.9% of the people who refer to our cars as Wagovans do not own, nor will they ever own, one and have no intention of talking about it from a technical perspective. On this site I can see us being sticklers for that type of thing (case and point the JRSC rally cross RT4WD "Wagovan"), but I have no qualms with people who don't know a thing about our cars calling it a Wagovan.

Making it a point to correct a non-wagon owner will just make you look looney. :lol:
  • agree. they just have to own one to understand.
  • if u have never owned one and seen the differences how would u know better? if one person calls it a wagovan u r to assume all other cars that looks the same is also a wagovan. people just dont know any better. but if u read this thread u should realize the differences. its your car call it watever u want to
  • well, if you think about it. us wagon owners knows our wagons. people who dont know about it dont have one. and mostlikely will never have one. but yah, maybe your right to. i call mine wagon. cuz thats what i think the general for all of them. all my friends dont call it wagovan tho.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    So do we have a consensus that it's OK for nublets outside the site to call it a Wagovan but if you're seeking technical help with your RT4WD and you call it a Wagovan you're going to get wrong information? :)